ISP Possibly Targeting people pulling race car trailers?

Typhoon

Addict
Sep 25, 2011
Illinois State Police vs. Drag Racers

At the drivers Dinner during the Dave Duell Classic, Doug Duell told of how Fred Rader was stopped for a DOT inspection by the Illinois State Police on the way to the Classic. Despite the fact that he was driving a non-Dually pick up and a 24' trailer both titled in his name and both without any lettering - he was expected to have a CDL license, up to date log book, flares/reflective triangles, fire extinguisher, .....

It turns out that Fred didn't just run into a rouge cop, but that Illinois needs revenue and out of state drag racers are easy pickings for high dollar tickets because it is too expensive to return to the state multiple times to fight. You will find complaints and horror stories all over the Internet on how Illinois is aggressively targeting out of state pickups pulling car trailers. While you can argue until you are blue in the face how they can't do it, this is Illinois, and they specialize in thug government.

i just drove through Illinois to pick a race car, and they were all over with the enforcement SUVs and pickups that gave the portable scales, but I was lucky that it was raining hard my entire trip though the state.

just as PA was doing by the NMCA races in Maple Grove, expect teams of Troopers being all around the track.

This is not the first time I've heard of this happening. Ive tried to research this before, but the info Ive been able to find has been cryptic at best and the old ladies at the local DMV are clueless. Opinions?

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Commercial Driver's License

Requirements
You must be age 18 to apply for a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) to drive in Illinois and age 21 to drive outside Illinois. You must obtain a CDL if you operate:

•Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, providing the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
•Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
•Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
•A vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.
•By law, drivers who hold a valid CDL must notify the Secretary of State's office of an address change or name change within 10 days and must obtain a corrected driver's license within 30 days.

Both tow vehicle and trailer have to weigh less that 26k. Most of us on here fall well below that. But some trailers that have been loaded down with golf carts, tools, car, coolers, and other crap car get close to and over that.

Some of those professional haulers rigs can get pretty crazy sometimes with spare parts and stuff.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
A lot of people these days dont have any common sense. And think they can tow stuff fine even at 10 tons. That scares me.

I know someone who drove a decent distance and noticed that the trailer lock wasnt down...

But we all make mistakes. I didnt realize that the trailer ball was loose until we got back from Ohio. That scared the piss out of me and I know I wont be making that mistake again

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
that guy is wrong about the apnea/cpap testing being required for the cdl.

NHTSA/FMCSA has never had any requirements outside of you saying something stupid to your doctor during a physical and him being on the sleep apnea industry's payroll.

the false info is going around to provide a "precedent" for the medical industry lobbyists to push mandatory, expensive, apnea testing for ALL drivers.

only two of the nhtsa rulemakes dont have extensive ties to the sleep apnea industry. apparently most have large stakes in sleep apnea testing/equipment companies.

fox's in charge of the hen house.

im sure they are doing it because stopping the 20 accidents a year directly attributable to this "major medical issue" is far more important than the millions/billions of dollars to be made.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
cause money to be made

BMI was created by a Belgian statistician named Adolphe Quetelet, and has been in use for over 100 years, mainly because of its simplicity. The measurement does not take into account a person’s body composition, age, or gender. In fact, a group of scientists from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester reviewed data from 40 studies conducted on heart disease and found that people with a normal BMI actually had more heart problems than those classified as overweight (See attached chart to figure your BMI).
What is the goal of mandating OSA screening and equipment? FMCSA states its purpose is to identify OSA in truckers because it “may be detrimental to safe driving as this condition may interfere with driver alertness and may cause gradual or sudden incapacitation”.
However, according to research on sleep apnea published FMCSA and authored by Dr. Allan Pack of the University of Pennsylvania, “(t)here is no statistical evidence in these data to suggest that the presence of sleep apnea significantly increases the likelihood or the risk of motor vehicle crashes.” Subsequently, FMCSA tried utilizing a logistic regression model to see if the results would change. Instead, what they discovered was “that there is no statistical evidence in the data to suggest that drivers with sleep apnea are more likely than drivers without sleep apnea to have a commercial vehicle crash.” Using the statistics from the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS), we can see that fatigue has had little to do with truck-related accidents. In 2008, 1.6% of truck driver-related crashes were a result of drowsiness, asleep at the wheel, and/or fatigue.

by this reasoning, to stop a possible future serial killer we should kill all children.

to fix the root of the issue is not apnea testing/CPAP, or HOS changes...making shippers pay detention time for truckers that have to sit "on duty" in their trucks for 6 hours waiting for a load...upaid, then having to drive.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
It's pretty simple. Your drivers license has what you are allowed to tow on it.

My old PA one was a C so I was good to 26k single or double, and that's what we got in PA. There's no D class.

I took notice out here in IL it's a D, so you're only good to 16k single.

Typhoon

Addict
Sep 25, 2011
It's pretty simple. Your drivers license has what you are allowed to tow on it.

My old PA one was a C so I was good to 26k single or double, and that's what we got in PA. There's no D class.

I took notice out here in IL it's a D, so you're only good to 16k single.

Are you talking about the GVWR of the truck or the truck & trailer together?

From what I found on cyberdrive it makes it sound like it just referring to the GVWR of the truck. But I could be wrong that why Im asking.

Classifications
Class A — Combination of vehicles with a GCWR* of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B — Single vehicle with a GVWR* of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class C — Single vehicle with a GVWR* of at least 16,001 pounds but less than 26,001 pounds.
Class D — Single vehicle with a GVWR* of less than 16,001 pounds.
*GCWR — Gross Combination Weight Rating
*GVWR — Gross Vehicle Weight Rating

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info