Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Sweet. Now semis can slow us down and box people in ever better!

With the debate about how to fund the US interstate system already raging, there may be another big highway controversy on the horizon. The US Department of Transportation might slow down some of the vehicles on the nation's roads by mandating speed governors on semi trucks.

According to insurance industry magazine Claims Journal, the proposal appeared in the DOT's March 2014 "Report of Significant Rulemaking." It would force big rigs weighing over 26,000 pounds to use speed governors with an unspecified limit. ​Many trucking companies already fit their tractor trailers with limiters, but they aren't obligated to. This isn't the first attempt at putting a max speed on semis. Organizations like the American Trucking Association previously suggested a 68 mph max for new trucks.

Other truckers aren't so happy about the possible change. According to Claims Journal, the Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association has come out against the new rule. It argues that speed differential is the dangerous factor, not outright velocity, and believes that it's better to keep all traffic traveling at a roughly equal rate. Also, if all tractor trailers are governed to the same speed, it makes passing very difficult, the association argues.

By lowering the semis' speed, the DOT hopes to curb accidents by reducing the trucks' stopping distance. There is currently a big push to make big rigs safer. The National Transportation Safety Board and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration have recently published independent sets of suggested regulations for them. NHTSA also wants to mandate stability control on tractor trailers. Other countries that require limiters note that slower speeds also improve fuel economy.

Keep in mind, this is still a proposal and in the earliest stages. Claims Journal says the rule first has to be approved by Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx and then cleared by Office of Management and Budget in the White House. If it makes it that far, it could be published as a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in October. According to the DOT's website, there would likely be about 60 days of public comment. From there, if published, it couldn't go into effect for a minimum of 30 days. That is a lot of time for things to change and a lot of hurdles to jump over before any tractor trailer is fitted with a mandated governor.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Other truckers aren't so happy about the possible change. According to Claims Journal, the Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association has come out against the new rule. It argues that speed differential is the dangerous factor, not outright velocity, and believes that it's better to keep all traffic traveling at a roughly equal rate. Also, if all tractor trailers are governed to the same speed, it makes passing very difficult, the association argues.

This all god damn fucking day, every day, including Sunday. Yet again dipshit unelected bureaucrats thinking they know best.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Oh great! Here we fucking go. It's getting harder and harder for truckers to make a living anymore.

Limiting a truck to 68mph is really gonna hurt some people. When you have to go from PA to AZ in two days.

Not to mention, states have different speeds. 68 won't cut it in IN where the limit is 70. When normal flow is 75.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I had already thought the trucks were limited? Or most of them.... That's why it already takes them 2 years to pass each other once they are up to speed on the hwy. 55-65ish around here

I got passed by a semi in Florida on vacation though. I was doing 75. He had to have been doing 85-90 lol

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
RMR 8RDS REMOTE 360 RADAR LASER DETECTOR JAMMER

Oh the topic. Truck drivers suck ass. I can't stand them fucks. They think they own the road and its their duty to slow you down or not let you get around cause they want to go the speed limit next to each other. Thats what the shoulder is for, passing them jagoffs.
Plus they cant drive for shit, bunch of fucking illegals.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Most big corporations with fleets already have this in place . I had to set every truck in my fleet about two years ago . Illinois roads you can get away with this , but OTR drivers can be allowed more speed due to varying highway speed limits per state .

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
No real good solution except for people to just drive better and drop this "me" mentality GTFO of the way thought.

It's not rocket science.

More and more people drive like crap. Hence more cameras, talk of speed limiters, recording devices in automobiles, more government intervention and road rage violence.

You drive like crap. Accept the government stepping in. You earned it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info