Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
unreal

Replacement parts for cars at the center of a massive General Motors recall for defective ignition switches began arriving at dealerships across this country just this week. If car owners have already gotten repairs made, they'll need to make an additional trip to their dealerships. On Thursday, General Motors said there's another safety problem plaguing the same vehicles.

The company is recalling 2.19 million of the same Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Saturn Ion, Sky, Pontiac G5 and Solstice models to fix a problem that allows keys to be removed from ignitions that are not in the "off" position.

In at least one case, a vehicle rolled away in a parking lot and resulted in a crash and injury, according to GM, which said it is aware of "several hundred" complaints about keys coming out of ignitions. The company will fix the ignition lock cylinders to prevent the problem.

This is a separate problem than the one allowing ignition switches in the same models to inadvertently move from the "run" to "accessory" positions, which can turn off both the engine and airbag systems. That defect has led to 13 deaths, and subsequently, Congressional inquiries into why the company didn't recall affected vehicles sooner.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
how does a key being able to be removed while not in the off position cause a crash?

Id assume if it's removed it shuts the vehicle off and seizes both the steering and braking, since they're both power operated.

The keys have security devices in them and if the car can't read them being in the ignition it will shut off.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Chrysler stuff has done this for years :rofl: I used to be able to start my XJ, take the key out, lock it and let it warm out outside work. It was a nice "feature" actually. :rofl:

:rofl: I used to be able to do the same thing with my Thunderbird. There was also a middle ground between accessory and locked, where the car would be off, but could be started without the key in the ignition.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
Id assume if it's removed it shuts the vehicle off and seizes both the steering and braking, since they're both power operated.

The keys have security devices in them and if the car can't read them being in the ignition it will shut off.

that would make sense but it says it was in a parking so i assumed it was parked

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Sounds more like stupidity. If you're not in the car, it should be in park regardless if it's running or not.

I honestly don't understand how some of these people get into the situations they get into, and lose their lives from it...

Like the Toyota pedal recall ordeal. One of the fatal accidents with that was a Cop and 3 passengers. The guy was on the expressway going 80mph and called 911 seeking help on what to do, and was on the phone for like a minute and a half before crashing... The guy is a police officer and doesn't know how to handle a situation like that. If my gas pedal was sticking on my car, and i didn't have time to diagnose or fix the problem, that sumbitch would get shifted into neutral so fast and brakes would be applied in a heartbeat, I could care less about the car.

If people would use common sense, most of these problems would be extremely minor, and wouldn't ultimately cost taxpayers the money, which i bet in the end this will too. People will be suing left and right, courts costs will be in the many millions, and people still will be just as stupid as they were before.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Bankruptcy didn't change the culture at GM. All it did was wipe the years of debt off the books. Putting two engineers on leave is laughable as the accountability should be with the executive team.

Gunna need another government bailout after all said and done...

All fucking day, these.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
I

If people would use common sense, most of these problems would be extremely minor, and wouldn't ultimately cost taxpayers the money, which i bet in the end this will too. People will be suing left and right, courts costs will be in the many millions, and people still will be just as stupid as they were before.

The funny thing with common sense, is it's not so fucking common anymore.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
I honestly don't understand how some of these people get into the situations they get into, and lose their lives from it...

Like the Toyota pedal recall ordeal. One of the fatal accidents with that was a Cop and 3 passengers. The guy was on the expressway going 80mph and called 911 seeking help on what to do, and was on the phone for like a minute and a half before crashing... The guy is a police officer and doesn't know how to handle a situation like that. If my gas pedal was sticking on my car, and i didn't have time to diagnose or fix the problem, that sumbitch would get shifted into neutral so fast and brakes would be applied in a heartbeat, I could care less about the car.

I had a similar situation happen a couple days ago on my bike. My foot shifter came loose on the highway and made it impossible to change gears. I freaked out for about 2 seconds then I pulled to the side, hit the clutch and brakes, followed by my flashers. I think I learned that in a safety class at some point.

I sort of think there should be required safety refresher classes every x years. Not some classroom bullshit but actual on the road testing. Then you could opt to take a certain skill level depending on how you feel. With all these safety features, the avg joe is getting too relaxed behind the wheel. Most of them would probably freeze up in any panic situation which is why a hands on refresher would do them good.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Chrysler stuff has done this for years :rofl: I used to be able to start my XJ, take the key out, lock it and let it warm out outside work. It was a nice "feature" actually. :rofl:

my jeep does this and it's pretty awesome. :rofl:

i've "fixed" plenty of cobalts that had dead batteries because the key came out in the accessory position. jam the key in the ignition, turn to off, and charge the battery. bottom line is, these cars are garbage and should be recalled completely

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
:rofl: I used to be able to do the same thing with my Thunderbird. There was also a middle ground between accessory and locked, where the car would be off, but could be started without the key in the ignition.

My Fiero does this. As a matter of fact, I dont think I've ever had the key to it. I just dont turn it all the way past the lock. Been able to start it without a key for the 6 or so years Ive had the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info