GM CEO Mary Barra

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Dam, talk about bad timing. I bet she now regrets taking that position. I almost feel like it was a set-up. Someone else got the hell out while the whole ignition failure re-call was brewing.

Sure, I'd Let My Son Drive a Chevy Cobalt, GM CEO Barra Says - NBC News

Sure, I'd Let My Son Drive a Chevy Cobalt, GM CEO Barra Says

The head of General Motors, on the hot seat over the automaker's recall of 2.6 million cars because of a faulty ignition switch, would have no problem with her son driving one of those vehicles.

As long as he has nothing else hanging from the key ring, that is.

"Is that Cobalt car safe to drive for your daughters?" Sen Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) asked GM Chief Executive Officer Mary Barra.

"I would allow my son and daughter...well my son, as he's the only one eligible to drive," she replied. "As long as he only had the ignition key."

House and Senate committees are investigating why it took GM more than a decade to recall 2.6 million cars, including Chevrolet Cobalts and Saturn Ions, that could have faulty ignition switches and may have contributed to 13 deaths. In some cases, added weight on the ignition key might have caused the engines to cut out.

Another Democratic senator, Bill Nelson of Florida, asked: "If I were to have a recalled Chevy Cobalt, would you recommend I drive it home tonight?"

"If you take all the keys off the ring, or use just the ignition key, our analysis is that it is safe to drive," replied Barra.

Nelson shot back: "I suspect Cobalt drivers would not take comfort from that advice."

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Poor Mary Barra wasn't even there when all these Cobalt problems were created, yet she's the one getting the shaft.

I was watching this on the news the other day and noticed that most of the fatalities they showed were teenagers. Could it be that most teens don't have enough driving experience to know what to do if the engine shuts off?

Also, it seems most people don't have enough common sense to know that you shouldn't have an anvil hanging from your keychain since it might cause ignition switch damage.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I thought post bankruptcy GM was not responsible for pre bankruptcy GM issues? Wasn't the cutoff in 2008? Also, the Toyota recalls effected more vehicles and didn't garner this much government action :dunno:

This is more like, hey, here is something to talk about other than Ukraine and Russia

I get that impression too... possibly 12 deaths related to this ignition issue... but not sure why this is so hot in the news.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Poor Mary Barra wasn't even there when all these Cobalt problems were created, yet she's the one getting the shaft.

I was watching this on the news the other day and noticed that most of the fatalities they showed were teenagers. Could it be that most teens don't have enough driving experience to know what to do if the engine shuts off?

Also, it seems most people don't have enough common sense to know that you shouldn't have an anvil hanging from your keychain since it might cause ignition switch damage.

Yea, she's definitely getting the shaft.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I thought post bankruptcy GM was not responsible for pre bankruptcy GM issues? Wasn't the cutoff in 2008? Also, the Toyota recalls effected more vehicles and didn't garner this much government action :dunno:

This is more like, hey, here is something to talk about other than Ukraine and Russia

^This. I am pretty sure she said that as well in a press conference.

People do not understand if the cost of the recall is more than what small out of court settlements will be. The recall will never happen. All these recalls are only happening now because everyone is trigger happy

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
you really don't think the recall will happen?

you're drunk.

The recall already happened. I am saying for other issues..

Example: 50k vehicles could possibly have a brake master cylinder failure.
Of those vehicles the manufacturer estimates that only a small few will actually have a problem. They estimate any small law suits settled out of court will be lets say a total of 1 million.

The total amount to recall the vehicles and perform all the services including parts and labor will be over 3 million.

Conclusion why do a recall? It has happened in the past many times. Or they put out a TSB bulletin. Lol

Ask me how I know haha I see it everyday

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
We at GM? What do you do?

The short version I deal with dealers from the U.S. and in Canada for large dollar new vehicle claims and issues. Now do I create any documents that the public sees? No. However I do have access to the GM systems and I am able to talk to dealers across the country everyday on issues and I have been on a handful of conference calls on new car issues and what a potential outcome could be for them.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
b3a10abef396f68423bc6a60d2bbf40cb78298afa309f51c76c94130124b681c.jpg

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
The recall already happened. I am saying for other issues..

Example: 50k vehicles could possibly have a brake master cylinder failure.
Of those vehicles the manufacturer estimates that only a small few will actually have a problem. They estimate any small law suits settled out of court will be lets say a total of 1 million.

The total amount to recall the vehicles and perform all the services including parts and labor will be over 3 million.

Conclusion why do a recall? It has happened in the past many times. Or they put out a TSB bulletin. Lol

Ask me how I know haha I see it everyday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5EY8oXamoM

Simple enough.

Back in 03 I don't think they would have accounted for everyone having keys that weigh 60 lbs due to these ridiculous openers. They keep getting bulkier and heavier it seems, pretty soon you'll just have a cell phone built into the fucking thing. Back in the day we had keys that locked/unlocked stuff and turned the car on and off. That's about it.

Looking at this from an engineering standpoint it's also plausible it's a legit engineering error. A lot of people see this as a simple issue, but it's likely not and in a corp as big as GM it could have very easily gotten lost. I mean most people don't think of a lock cylinder as a safety issue. I mean, I've had a few blow outs on the interstate and a car or two just die back in my beater days, it's not like it doesn't happen. With the number of units on the road compared to the number of fatalities or even incidents, would it be a safety issue in most people's minds?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5EY8oXamoM

Simple enough.

Back in 03 I don't think they would have accounted for everyone having keys that weigh 60 lbs due to these ridiculous openers. They keep getting bulkier and heavier it seems, pretty soon you'll just have a cell phone built into the fucking thing. Back in the day we had keys that locked/unlocked stuff and turned the car on and off. That's about it.

Looking at this from an engineering standpoint it's also plausible it's a legit engineering error. A lot of people see this as a simple issue, but it's likely not and in a corp as big as GM it could have very easily gotten lost. I mean most people don't think of a lock cylinder as a safety issue. I mean, I've had a few blow outs on the interstate and a car or two just die back in my beater days, it's not like it doesn't happen. With the number of units on the road compared to the number of fatalities or even incidents, would it be a safety issue in most people's minds?

Agreed Probably not. If it was really only 13 or so Deaths that are "possibly" caused by this issue VS. what maybe Millions of these vehicles all combined on the road? That really is not an issue GM would ever look at. Hell how many deaths and blow outs did it take for Ford and Firestone to start to go at it in the news?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

Mary Barra has been with GM for a long time. She rose up through the ranks.

Mary Barra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I feel more then safe driving my slobalt all the time. I've had 2 of them and they both been extremely reliable and never had any issues :dunno:

Put 32k on one in a year, modded and beat the piss out of it and never had a single issue.

My current one has 108k on it and has no issues other then wear and tear items that need to be replaced because they are probably original parts :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info