Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
[MENTION=239]Turk[/MENTION]

The debut of the Lamborghini Huracán was (and remains) big news in and of itself, but equally as exciting is the imminent arrival of the Audi R8, which the Huracán presages. While the two will share a common architecture, don't expect that new R8 will simply be a cheaper version of the Huracán (like the current one arguably is to the Gallardo).

For one, the next R8 will be larger than the Huracán. According to emerging intelligence, Audi will make its sports car both longer and wider than the Lamborghini version. It'll also share the new Lambo's innovative carbon-fiber structure that will replace both the firewall and central tunnel. But to power it all, Audi will get more creative.

The next R8 will, like the current model and like the Huracán, offer a V10 engine at the top of the range. It will also offer the same 4.2-liter V8 as the outgoing model. But that won't be the end of the matter. Word has it that Audi is also working on a smaller, turbocharged engine to offer in certain markets that mandate smaller-capacity engines.

Whether that will emerge as a turbo four, a turbocharged V6 or something else remains to be seen, but in speaking with Autocar, Audi technical chief Ulrich Hackenberg indicated they could be looking at "some numbers in between", suggesting that a turbo five like the one you'd find in the RS3, RS Q3 or TT RS could be under consideration.

One way or another, it wouldn't be the first time Audi would toy with the idea of a different kind of engine for the R8. It's experimented with V12 turbodiesels and electric propulsion for the supercar, so a turbo five – or whatever it settles on – would hardly be a big surprise.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Though I seriously doubt it, I'm wondering how many of the problems of that German 1.8 4-cyl might this have. Those VW's and Audi's with the 1.8's-used in the Bug's and TT's-had issues. I know, comparing a $25-$35K D/D with an Exotic isn't right because they aren't even in the same league. Still, not that I have the $$$ to buy one, I feel the Lambo will be a significantly better option because of the engine size, and reliability. It's probably really cool and all, but I'm not 100% sold on reliability. We'll see what happens...

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I have no problem with a 4 cylinder turbo engine.

Me neither, when speaking of turbo 4 bangers in/of themselves, but you wouldn't catch me or most other people dead in an exotic running around with one stuffed under the hood. One screams "fuck yeah, spending some big cash on a kickass car!" while the other anemically says, "Yay, I sip fuel and am economic." They just don't match one another's ideologies.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Me neither, when speaking of turbo 4 bangers in/of themselves, but you wouldn't catch me or most other people dead in an exotic running around with one stuffed under the hood. One screams "fuck yeah, spending some big cash on a kickass car!" while the other anemically says, "Yay, I sip fuel and am economic." They just don't match one another's ideologies.

Most of us wouldn’t be caught dead in a hybrid either, but the supercar market is changing. I don’t think anyone on here would turn down a P1 or 918 for example. I think it would be cool to have a high revving big HP 4 cylinder in the car. My biggest concern would be the sound.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Most of us wouldn’t be caught dead in a hybrid either, but the supercar market is changing. I don’t think anyone on here would turn down a P1 or 918 for example. I think it would be cool to have a high revving big HP 4 cylinder in the car. My biggest concern would be the sound.

There is a wide range of hybrids out there, from mild to wild; so I don't see those as being directly comparable to turbo I4 power-trains in terms of ideology.

I agree that the supercar market is changing, but I don't think it it going straight to turbo I4 engines anytime soon; but more like FI V8's instead. Besides, hybridization makes sense and is not mutually exclusive to high performance V8's, V10's, and V12's. Why not have the best of both worlds when you aren't sacrificing any sort of luxury, performance, or appeal. Replace that exotic's V8/etc hybrid engine with a turbo I4 and people will respond, and not in a positive manner, either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info