chrysler may or may not get apple's carplay

Dragonkat

Car Life: It's what we do...24/7
Aug 17, 2012
Kenosha
from Allpar:

several articles were published by various media outlets, talking about the use of Apple’s new CarPlay service in various cars. Chrysler has been conspicuously left out of most of these articles. The company responded with a statement:

Chrysler Group has a strong relationship with Apple. Our companies are focused on iPhone and iPod compatibility testing with Chrysler Group’s current Uconnect Systems, and we continue to discuss and explore technologies that can further enhance the driving experience and keep drivers focused on the road.

According to Apple, CarPlay allows one to use the iPhone with a car’s built in display to “get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music,” starting with some 2014 model-year cars; it features Siri voice control, set up for driving. It works with the car’s knobs, buttons, or touch-screen. As UConnect Access does, it can read and reply to text messages.

Apple’s web site shows that the system will be available in 2014 on Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, and Mercedes cars, with “future models from committed partners” BMW, Chevrolet/Opel, Citroën, Ford, Kia, Land Rover, Nissan, Peugeot, Subaru, and Suzuki. Chrysler is absent from the list. The system currently only works with iPhone 5 models (including C and S). The current message appears to be that Chrysler will be sitting the system out for the moment, but may choose to opt in later.

what do you guys/girls think of apple's carplay?
I don't like the idea of my car working like my iPhone

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Here's the advantage of the "closed" apple ecosystem. Sure new android phones could do something similar no problem but keep in mind 75% of android shit out there is the $0 on contract old ass outdated android shit so it would be a mess to try and get everybody's android to work like this with people's cars. Hell, even the different skins on android would make it difficult.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Dragonkat
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list