Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
:eek3: :eek3:

Nissan has taken the wraps off its brand new three-cylinder, 1.5-liter turbocharged gasoline engine which will be used in the ZEOD RC.

An updated ZEOD RC was shown by Nissan back in October 2013 and now the Japanese automaker has disclosed more information about the conventional engine. It will be an all-new 1.5-liter 3-cylinder turbo gasoline engine called "DIG-T R" which produces a whopping 400 bhp (298 kW) and a peak torque of 380 Nm (280 lb-ft) and revs up to 7,500 rpm.

The motor tips the scales at just 40 kg (88 lbs) and according to Nissan offers more power per kg (10 hp / kg) than a Formula 1 engine. Aside from being very lightweight, the engine is also quite compact as it's just 400mm long, 200mm wide and 500mm tall.

Over the next four months Nissan will test the ZEOD RC so that it will be ready in time for Le Mans 24 Hours (June 14-15)

6350457732055752408.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That is a small motor package! I wonder if it is run at high boost and race gas only. Maybe E85 or other variant?

That's a really weird looking race car. I am interested to see how this thing performs in race conditions.

I saw a few driver interviews when watching parts of the 24 hour race. One was a female in front of a car with a narrow front end like this. I thought it looked weird as well. Wonder what handling benefits it has over a wider track?

Typhoon

Addict
Sep 25, 2011
The motor tips the scales at just 40 kg (88 lbs) and according to Nissan offers more power per kg (10 hp / kg) than a Formula 1 engine. Aside from being very lightweight, the engine is also quite compact as it's just 400mm long, 200mm wide and 500mm tall.

Oh so now HP per weight and HP per physical size matters. Guess HP per Liter doesn't matter anymore? :trollface:

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
Durability is a big factor in any undeveloped technology but once they do it, it works. There's plenty we take for granted a little bit in use now that was probably pretty wild back in the day. I could see servo-operated valves finding their way into small eco motors and then hopefully getting into performance aspirations later on. That's exactly what happened in the manufacturing technology I build at work. We take apart machines that have been running around the clock for as much as 50 years that run on a big ass camshaft and rebuild with servo motors that do have a shorter service life even in that environment but the benefit (primarily cycle time and tunability) is worth it 20 fold.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Durability.

There is a video out there somewhere of the owner of Koneissegg outlining one of his current projects. He retrofitted a Saab 9-5 using off the shelf neumatic actuators instead of camshafts for the valvetrain. They have been running it with no issues for I believe 30k+ miles. Now I know this isn't proof that it will be reliable, but to say neumatic actuators aren't reliable wouldn't be very accurate as they are used throughout all industries and are extremely durable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info