Ten Worst Used Cars (Scientifically Compiled)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
This guy is putting together longer term info than Consumer Reports supplies. He has a long history in the automobile sales industry.

Quality is something we all want when it comes to cars, especially older used ones. But how do we get it?

I have been studying this question in one form or another for nearly 14 years now. I began my automotive career as a car dealer, buying and selling hundreds of vehicles a year. As time went on, I became an auto auctioneer, a remarketing manager and a part-owner of a wholesale auto auction...

... I decided to gather data on trade-ins sent to wholesale auctions by large used-car retailers such as Carmax, J.D. Byrider, Drivetime, and other regional used-car retailers that don’t cater to a single automaker. This way there wouldn’t be an over-representation of a given brand. I also employed the help of Nick Lariviere, a statistician capable of creating visuals that would make all this real-world used car data easy to understand.

One year and nearly 300,000 vehicles later, we have developed a new quality index that you can find here. For now, we are focusing on brands and models. As the study continues to pool more vehicles, we’ll gradually introduce specific model year data, and even powertrain combinations, so that used car buyers can figure out where to find that older used vehicle that has truly earned its quality reputation.

Link to study: http://members.wolfram.com/nickl/

The list:

10. Volkswagen New Beetle (automatic transmission issues and cheap interior components; diesel models with 5-speed manuals are by far the best powertrain option.)

9. Mazda 626 (automatic transmission issues, all models.)

8. Lincoln Aviator (a gussied-up, unpopular Ford Explorer that had unique sensor and software issues which negatively impacted the overall powertrain and electronics.)

7. Jaguar S-Type (Extensive transmission and engine issues on all V-6 and V-8 models. Along with Limited edition models with ungodly replacement costs.)

6. Lincoln LS (Same basic powertrain as the Jaguar S-Type with nearly identical results.)

5. Mazda Millenia (Engine issues, transmission issues and cheap interiors that just don't wear well.)

4. Land Rover Discovery (Expensive parts. Expensive powertrains. Electronics that are apparently the spawn of Beelzebub.)

3. Mini Cooper (Bad transmissions that are unusually expensive to replace. Cheap interior parts. Cheap hydraulics.)

2. Land Rover Freelander (A cost-cutting exercise that went way past the bone.)

And a true shocker, the single worst used vehicle at the wholesale auctions when it comes to overall defect rate at trade-in time is....

1. Mazda CX-7 (Engine issues on these vehicles are legion with nearly a third of these vehicles sold with "Engine needs service" announcements at the auctions.)

Yahoo!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I take anything consumer reports says with a grain of salt... and an aarp card.

who even reports to them... their database and demographic are so peculiar and small that I really don't take anything they say seriously.

which is why what this guy is doing may be more applicable... yet also it is a peculiar sample size. I've never traded a car in nor bought one at a dealer... yet i've owned over 20 vehicles...

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
number 11 should be a Mitsubishi Outlander followed by a 2006 Grand Prix GXP

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on the GXP. I had an 07 that I bought with 48k miles and drove it to about 90k. Sold it only because I couldn't afford 2 car payments anymore but the only issue that car ever had was the water pump went out at about 58k and was warrantied. Otherwise just did tires and brakes. Ran 13.90 bone stock and got 26mpg on the highway. Loved that car.

Sidenote: Yes I'm aware that many had trans issues with these, but so do all cars with 4T65s.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on the GXP. I had an 07 that I bought with 48k miles and drove it to about 90k. Sold it only because I couldn't afford 2 car payments anymore but the only issue that car ever had was the water pump went out at about 58k and was warrantied. Otherwise just did tires and brakes. Ran 13.90 bone stock and got 26mpg on the highway. Loved that car.

Sidenote: Yes I'm aware that many had trans issues with these, but so do all cars with 4T65s.

I had trans issues plus everything else

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info