84 mpg $6,800 car coming in 2015

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Elio Motors, a new automotive company, has a three wheel vehicle slated to be released in 2015.

The sleek three-wheeled car looks futuristic, but, as its creator acknowledges, it uses no new technology.

What makes the Elio Motors vehicle unique is its ultra-high fuel economy and an ultra-low price tag: $6,800.

The vehicle, which was on display at the Showstoppers startup showcase on the sidelines of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, promises to deliver as much as 84 miles (134 kilometers) per gallon (3.8 liters) of gasoline for highway driving.

It accelerates as quickly as many cars on the road -- to 60 miles (100 kilometers) per hour in 9.6 seconds, according to the company. Urban fuel economy is estimated at 49 miles per gallon.

Company founder Paul Elio said he came up with the idea because "I got mad about seeing all this wealth leave the country" for imported petroleum.

An engineer by training, Elio began the firm in 2008 and recently took over an abandoned General Motors plant in Louisiana -- one which had been producing the gas-guzzling Hummer.

In order to deliver the best fuel economy, the car has a cockpit wide enough only for the driver, with a passenger seat in the rear. It has two wheels in front and tapers in the rear to a single wheel.

"Front-to-back seating, that's the key to mileage," Elio told AFP.

Three-wheel $6,800 car gears for 2015 US launch

images

images

images

images

images

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Not to sound like the homo here, but, I would buy the shit out of that for commuting... I work 27 miles from my work one way, and where I'm looking to move will about double that drive, one which I make at least six days a week... I spend 800-900/month on fuel at 16 mpg's in my truck, so something that would get five times the gas mileage and only cost about $7,000 with a presumable warranty would be something of interest to me...

It's about time someone capitalized on this... The existing tech is there. Stop trying to spend millions of dollars making heavy ass hybrid cars that don't really see much better gas mileage than economy cars of the early to mid 90s; but instead optimize the technology that we already have and roll it into a package that is refined and cost effective for the average consumer looking to make the "hybrid" jump without having to spend stupid amount of money on R&D.... Just fathom this for a second, this car gets better mileage and costs less than the TAX BREAK owners were getting on Volt purchases..

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Cars like this will end electric vehicles if companies dont stop being stupid about them. The average consumer does not want to spend $35k+ on an electric car if saving money on fuel is the issue. Ive always believed that gasoline powered vehicles werent going anywhere.

And its not really comparable to a smart car. Smart cars are like $13k and they get 38mpg. Which isnt really that good.

Im all for econo-boxes if the price is right.

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
would not even consider it unless I was really hurtin to save money that way and if I was, I wouldn't be thinking about safety too much. I'm a car enthusiast so no, not gonna drive around in a little ecobox 80% of the time while the car(s) I enjoy sit and get old. lol @ going from a full size truck to that. Anyway I like it. This indeed looks like a sensible answer to a very easy question (finally) and I hope they do well

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info