Holden to stop making cars by 2017

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
:fu:

Holden, a subsidiary of General Motors (GM), has said it will stop making cars in Australia by the end of 2017.
The move will result in nearly 2,900 people losing their jobs.
The firm said a strong Australian currency, high manufacturing costs and a small domestic market were among the reasons behind its decision.
Holden, which has made cars in Australia for nearly 65 years, will retain its sales unit and a parts distribution centre in Australia.
"The decision to end manufacturing in Australia reflects the perfect storm of negative influences the automotive industry faces in the country," GM chief executive Dan Akerson said in a statement.
"This includes the sustained strength of the Australian dollar, high cost of production, small domestic market and arguably the most competitive and fragmented auto market in the world."
Subsidies
Carmakers in Australia have been struggling for some time, despite the government extending support to the industry via subsidies over the past few years.
However, there has been a debate over whether the government should continue to provide support to the sector.
According to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), Prime Minister Tony Abbott declared last week that there would be no more taxpayer assistance.
The government had also increased pressure on Holden in recent days to clarify its future plans for Australia.
Dave Smith, national secretary of the vehicle division at Australian Manufacturing Workers Union, said the government's push had influenced Holden's move.
"I believe the decision's been prompted by the behaviour of the government yesterday," he told the ABC.
"Unfortunately, they've been let down by a government that wouldn't back them in."
Wider implications
In May, US carmaker Ford announced that it would stop production in Australia in 2016.
That means Holden's decision will leave Japanese carmaker Toyota as the only company still making cars in Australia from 2017.
The Australian Manufacturing Workers Union said it was now "highly likely" Toyota could decide to leave Australia as well.
"In fact, it's almost certain and this will spell the end of 50,000 automotive jobs," Mr Smith said. "There's no dispute about that."
The Motor Trade Association of South Australia said the government needed to take steps to ensure a sustainable future for the sector.
"Our attention must now go to those component manufacturers and Toyota, and the federal government must immediately begin working on plans to keep this important manufacturing base in Australia," said John Chapman, chief executive of the association.
Treasurer Joe Hockey said the government would work closely with the state governments and unions to ensure Holden's departure "does not lead to a significant economic downturn in South Australia or Victoria", where the firm's two manufacturing units are based.
"We will do everything to help in this transition," he added.

BBC News - GM's Holden to stop making cars in Australia

Cliffs:

Holden will stop making cars in 2017 due to a strong Australian currency, high manufacturing costs and a small domestic.

Will be interesting to see how this impacts the Chevy SS down the road.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
True, but it just sucks that upwards of 2,900 jobs could be lost there. My biggest fear is that the design teams will be disbanded from there as well. The teams responsible for the deigns and performance that have influenced many models including the G8, Camaro, and new SS. A lot of what I loved about GM products the last 5-10 years came from Australia.

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN
My biggest fear is that the design teams will be disbanded from there as well. The teams responsible for the deigns and performance that have influenced many models including the G8, Camaro, and new SS. A lot of what I loved about GM products the last 5-10 years came from Australia.

^^^^^ this

I'm pretty sure a lot of the designs CAME from there and the partnership brought it here. Like it was mentioned above. Where do you think the Chevy SS is from? Or the GTO? Look at the Holden website. They have a lot of GM cars and oz owners put bowtie emblems on them. Kinda like what I did to mine. Lol Gotta be different. This is going to be a bad thing. I was hoping that Coupe 60 (s holden concept) was going to production.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Ugh god. Coupe 60... fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap

Hopefully the design teams are either continued over there and keep making these awesome looking cars instead of this bland ******ry GM calls "excitement". Or at the very least, bring them over here and keep them on board.

Sucks because Holden is such a renown name for awesome RWD cars. Something that is dying off one by one in today's "global market" all in the name of pinching a few pennies.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Probably a stupid question but I'd assume that you can still buy other car brands there correct? I would hate to live in Australia and my only choice of cars is Toyota or... Toyota. :ugh:

Make cars here and send them to Australia.....I don't see a problem :dunno:

This. Bring more jobs here, or just increase demand at the current factories.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Probably a stupid question but I'd assume that you can still buy other car brands there correct? I would hate to live in Australia and my only choice of cars is Toyota or... Toyota. :ugh:

Per the article, it seems that they will still sell Holdens there, they will just be made elsewhere:

Holden, which has made cars in Australia for nearly 65 years, will retain its sales unit and a parts distribution centre in Australia.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
083.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info