radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Meet The Guy Who Drove Across The U.S. In A Record 28 Hours 50 Minutes

pretty neat. They averaged 98 MPH in a modified 2004 Mercedes-Benz CL55 AMG from New York City to Los Angeles, a 2,813-mile trip, which set a new record. Google says 40 and a half hours :rofl:

about the car..

Let's start with the fuel tanks. There are two of them, both 22 gallons – and that's in addition to the 23-gallon tank Mercedes installed at the factory. The result is a constant, pervasive gas smell when you're standing anywhere in the car's vicinity. But it also means the car can hold 67 gallons of fuel – or, put another way, over 400 pounds of gasoline. Hence the active suspension.

But it's so much more than fuel tanks. There's a police scanner. There are two Garmin GPS units with traffic capabilities. There are two iPhone chargers and cradles to run apps like Trapster; an iPad charger and cradle; and three radar detectors. And that's just the easy stuff. There's a switch to kill the rear lights, a switch to activate the fuel tanks, and a professionally installed switch panel mounted in the center stack that controls all of these goodies. There's a CB radio, complete with a giant trunk-mounted antenna. There are two laser jammers. Ed had someone working on a radar jammer, but it wasn't ready in time.

BillyBru

FoodHead
Apr 29, 2008
Skimmed through it. Great story. I wouldn't have thought of all the prep that goes into it. I've always wanted to do this, not for a record but just for fun. Some day...

I thought this was a cool picture.
ku-xlarge.png

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
its a wiki link so take it for what you will - but says he was avg 90mph and top speed of 160 - which IMO this record is better (for lack of better words) because it was just a stock m5 with GPS, scanner, and a spotter plane... not dual fuel tanks

he has a biography/transcontinental trip bio book out ("the driver" I think) its a really cool book!

Alex Roy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Transcontinental record[edit]

A prior record for crossing the U.S. from New York City to Los Angeles of 32 hours, 7 minutes was set in 1983 by David Diem and Doug Turner during the US Express, an unofficial successor to the Cannonball Run. The record was unofficial and never documented or confirmed.[2] When documentary filmmaker Cory Welles called it to Roy's attention, he decided he should be the one to break it.[3]

Roy and co-driver Jonathan Goodrich, his longtime friend, completed a practice run in December 2005, finishing with a time of 34 hours and 46 minutes. A subsequent attempt in April 2006 added a spotter plane, but the failure of his M5's fuel pump ended the run in Oklahoma. On October 7 of 2006 Roy and replacement co-driver David Maher, a New York investment banker (who was also his 2003 Gumball co-driver), embarked on another run. On this, the successful 31:04 run Roy claims 2,794 mapped miles and 2800 road miles - which he covered at an average speed of 90.1 mph.[3] The run took place over Columbus Day weekend so as to meet minimal traffic, in part for safety; they also avoided any type of reckless driving such as tailgating, although they reached top speeds of 160 mph.[4] Roy's route, which hit only four toll booths, three or four red lights, and only one close call with the highway patrol in Oklahoma, ended at the Santa Monica Pier.[4]

The record was witnessed in part by Davey Johnson and Mike Spinelli, contributor and managing editor of the automobile blog Jalopnik.[3][1] The time was recorded by a time clock which was punched as they left New York and flown to California before they arrived.[4]

Another rally driver team, comprising Gumball veterans Richard Rawlings and Dennis Collins, claim they beat the record in May 2007 at 31:59 on a 2,811 mile route; they also claim that Roy did not "stick to the route" of the original Cannonball Run. Alex Roy, on the other hand, claims that almost every year's route was different, and that the only rule was total time point-to-point.[5] The 31:04 record was set with sufficient margin to break the record even with the same route as the longest ever cross-country race.[5] The originator of the Cannonball Run, Brock Yates, does not acknowledge any records or sanction races due to his concern that "somebody was going to get killed".[3] Roy expresses similar concern with regard to anyone attempting to break his claimed record.[4]

In October 2007, Roy published a book on his racing career, The Driver: My Dangerous Pursuit of Speed and Truth in the Outlaw Racing World (Harper Collins, ISBN 978-0-06-122793-6). Information on the record-setting run was withheld until publication.[3]

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
its a wiki link so take it for what you will - but says he was avg 90mph and top speed of 160 - which IMO this record is better (for lack of better words) because it was just a stock m5 with GPS, scanner, and a spotter plane... not dual fuel tanks

he has a biography/transcontinental trip bio book out ("the driver" I think) its a really cool book!

Alex Roy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

agree to disagree... he had a shit ton of expensive shit in that m5- one thing of which to mention is nightvision

I wouldn't harp on the dude for doing dual fuel tanks... that would be the first thing I would do if i were to try this... stopping for gas is as good as just adding an hour or two to the drive. adding fuel capacity is genius

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
agree to disagree... he had a shit ton of expensive shit in that m5- one thing of which to mention is nightvision

I wouldn't harp on the dude for doing dual fuel tanks... that would be the first thing I would do if i were to try this... stopping for gas is as good as just adding an hour or two to the drive. adding fuel capacity is genius

yes and no... new mercs have nightvision now... along with other cool tech - but dual fuel tanks is a way bigger game changer - I agree that's what I would but alex roys is a more legit record - he outran a fucking plane to st. Louis! haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info