Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
f5QCRS4.jpg

3FL5ZiX.jpg

One of the prime complaints against the Dodge Challenger is that, even in SRT8 guise, its 470 horsepower is responsible for hauling over 4,200 pounds of vehicle. For comparison, the 420 hp in the Ford Mustang GT only has to deal with 3,618 lbs. Things only get worse from there, as the higher-performance variants of both the Mustang and the Chevrolet Camaro are far more powerful than an SRT8 without adding on much heft.

So what is Chrysler to do? The correct answer is add a whole lot more grunt to its hefty two-door and even the odds. That's where the all-new Hellcat engine comes into play. We reported on this engine in May, and suggested that the Hellcat, a supercharged powerplant based on a 6.4-liter V8, would easily generate 500 to 570 hp and could likely arrive boasting more than 600 ponies.

Chrysler's ace in its sleeve has now been spied testing, with a number of Hellcat-equipped Challengers running the potent new engine both in more urbanized areas and under the sun of Death Valley. The hoods on these testers have been raised to accommodate the engine, and that camouflage over the fascias of these prototypes is there to hide a larger air intake. We also note what appears to be a new split grille under wraps. As for power output, our spies are now suggesting a Viper-equalling 640 hp from the Hellcat-equipped cars.

Although the Hellcat is being tested in the Challenger, it certainly shouldn't be ruled out for the coupe's platform-mates, the 300 and Charger. As for when we'll see a production car equipped with the Hellcat, it remains to be seen if it will replace the current 6.4-liter Hemi V8 or serve alongside it as the new flagship engine for the Challenger, 300 and Charger.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
will do low 12s with 600hp

they gunna put something wider than a 245 tire this time?

ALLPAR reported seeing a spy car test fitted with a 285 tire out back:eek3:

300 usually mimicks the Charger and vice versa not the challenger. Speak of which, isn't there a refresh of the charger coming soon with an 8 speed?

I read an article about this on ALLPAR... rather then redoing the whole car they are just going to shave some lbs... Mopar was speculating the "newer" challenger should be under 4000lbs - that plus 600hp should be very entertaining!!

the 8 speed should be avail with the smaller hemi this year and the SRT should soon follow from what ive read

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This car is such a turd. It's huge, awkward and narrow looking, handles like a boat and it's slow on top of all that. There is nothing redeemable about the Challenger and it only gets worse for it when you consider that it's competition is the Mustang and Camaro.

My four door sedan doesn't way 4200lbs. My Limousine A8 only weighed 4400lbs... The solution to their problem isn't to throw more power at the car; it's to make it not suck.

Call me when it doesn't suck. Until then you'll continue to see a V6 model once every couple weeks just like now.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
This car is such a turd. It's huge, awkward and narrow looking, handles like a boat and it's slow on top of all that. There is nothing redeemable about the Challenger and it only gets worse for it when you consider that it's competition is the Mustang and Camaro.

My four door sedan doesn't way 4200lbs. My Limousine A8 only weighed 4400lbs... The solution to their problem isn't to throw more power at the car; it's to make it not suck.

Call me when it doesn't suck. Until then you'll continue to see a V6 model once every couple weeks just like now.

No shit, my my Astro van weighs hundreds less with a gen 1 SBC and a 9".

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm just not impressed by shitty cars that have more power thrown at them to mask their shitty-ness. Has this ever really been considered a great car?

Audi A8 4.0T. 420hp out of a 4 liter V8 moving a giant ass limo to a 12.4 second 1/4 mile. That impresses me and it's not a Tesla so there!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info