General Motors has officially lost its mind!

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Anyone who thinks the Chevy Volt is expensive is not going to like this news. In fact, anyone who wants plug-in vehicles to succeed is probably not going to like how the just-announced base price for the 2014 Cadillac ELR electric luxury coupe will give ammunition to anyone who says these kinds of cars are too expensive. We'll cut to the chase: the ELR starts at $75,000, way more than previously predicted.

Sure, that's before any possible government incentives (from the feds, that can be up to $7,500) but it's also *before the $995 destination charge and other fees. GM highlights the fact that, when you add everything up, you could get an ELR for "as low as $68,495," but that's also roughly where a Tesla Model S starts. Given that Tesla has sold a lot of those EVs, maybe the ELR price point is what GM CEO Dan Akerson meant when he recently said, "If you want to compete head-to-head with Tesla, and we ultimately will, you want to do it with a Cadillac." We know GM has been watching the California start-up closely. Even if GM has Tesla in its sights, the powertrain in the ELR is basically the same as what's in the $34,995 Volt, a 16.5-kWh lithium-ion battery that offers up to 35 all-electric highway miles and 82 MPGe.

The ELR certainly looks very different – and premium – and we're expecting a drop-dead gorgeous interior, but that's still a boatload of cash, especially considering how well the Volt has(n't) sold. We shall see how the buying public responds when the Cadillac ELR goes on sale in January "in all major US metropolitan areas." One special feature? ELR buyers can call a special phone number – 855 4 CAD ELR - for "white-glove customer care."

What the fuck were they thinking???

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Its a cadillac. I heard about this when I would go to the volt owners meetings and events at the dealer. If you cant afford the price dont get it basically, I would rather have the tesla for this price for sure.

I dont like that they say in the article that GM says they want to compete with tesla with the cadillac. The tesla has a range of 250 potential electric miles. this has the range of the volt around 35-55 depending on driving. Not comparable at all.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
If they want to sell electric cars, put the motor in the cheapest, most stripped down small vehicle you offer and sell it in the $20k range.

This. U really think that people who can spend 70k on a car give a shit about saving $1-200 a month on gas? The tesla is cool and unique so they sell a decent amount of them. This is basically a Chevy volt surrounded by overpriced Cadillac parts

If I'm spending 70k on a Cadillac it'd be a CTS-v

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
This is like Ford saying they want to compete with Mercedes through Lincoln and then offering a re-badged Taurus for $90,000.

I mean just absolutely fucking stupidity here. Talk about not getting it. They sound like the companies that tried to compete with the iPod back in the day and later on, the earlier iPhones. Everyone put forth their best garbage coated in gold spray paint and declared it the next greatest thing.

I continue to weigh the Tesla option and I would honestly love to see something else similar come out because I'm just not keen on the interior, especially after sitting in an A8 4.0T. An alternative just doesn't exist and Elon is far enough ahead of the curve that by the time the other guys deliver something that's even close to being similar he'll already have something much better out.

Fucking facepalm GM.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I saw this at the autoshow, looked neat, but knew it would come with a stupid, ludicrous price tag. The return of the initial ~$1.2B investment for the Volt platform is taking many years for GM. They just dropped the price of the Volt to push more sales, but that of course cuts into profit. If GM is hoping to makeup losses on the Volt with the ELR, thats just :rollpicard:. I'd be interested to see the profit margins for the ELR vs. Volt..

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
This is like Ford saying they want to compete with Mercedes through Lincoln and then offering a re-badged Taurus for $90,000.

I mean just absolutely fucking stupidity here. Talk about not getting it. They sound like the companies that tried to compete with the iPod back in the day and later on, the earlier iPhones. Everyone put forth their best garbage coated in gold spray paint and declared it the next greatest thing.

I continue to weigh the Tesla option and I would honestly love to see something else similar come out because I'm just not keen on the interior, especially after sitting in an A8 4.0T. An alternative just doesn't exist and Elon is far enough ahead of the curve that by the time the other guys deliver something that's even close to being similar he'll already have something much better out.

Fucking facepalm GM.

Get out of my head.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Its a cadillac. I heard about this when I would go to the volt owners meetings and events at the dealer. If you cant afford the price dont get it basically, I would rather have the tesla for this price for sure.

I dont like that they say in the article that GM says they want to compete with tesla with the cadillac. The tesla has a range of 250 potential electric miles. this has the range of the volt around 35-55 depending on driving. Not comparable at all.

And the Tesla Model S has the balls to get out and out-run a M5 as well. Volt/ELR ain't gonna do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvHTN0Yi1t4

RenoReno2

Regular
Nov 24, 2011
I feel like gm has done this before
pu5aqy5y.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info