New Automotive Speaker/Muffler

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Posers of the world rejoice.

Can't afford a Ferrari? Well, Faurecia SA, the French auto parts maker, has what might be the next best thing: A system that makes your car sound like one.

Faurecia is offering car makers a mini loudspeaker that can amp up the muffled sound of a small engine's exhaust so it has the roar of a supercar's...

...Faurecia's system uses sophisticated software that captures what a car's engine is doing to drive a loudspeaker contained in the muffler, whose only role normally is to reduce sound.

Through the loud speaker, Faurecia's system that will be preinstalled at the factory will also allow drivers to select from a few different exhaust sounds ranging from quiet to sporty.

The system also uses its software to strip out annoying ambient sounds, like the whine of the turbocharger, by using active noise control technology to cancel out the unwanted noise, similar to noise-cancelling headphones. The noise signal frequency picked up by a microphone in the muffler is slightly modified and played back over the loudspeaker so that the original sound isn't audible.

Automotive tuneup stores selling noise-generating systems already exist but they play different engine or exhaust sounds over the speakers inside the cabin, giving drivers the impression that they're driving a souped-up Lamborghini. There's no such sound outside the car.

A key component of the system is the loudspeaker that will nest inside the muffler and will be "hardened" so that it will last the life of the car.

Mr. Lakin says the additional cost won't be all that significant, as the dynamic sound system replaces much of the muffler. "In future, we could even get rid of the muffler altogether and just use a speaker."

Yahoo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D__vAhK71yI

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
The noise cancellation part is interesting. Could mufflers eventually go the way of the dodo bird?

Having your Honda sound like a Ferrari using a speaker is the ultimate fart can.

I mean, it could be fun at a streetlight :rofl:

But I agree, the noise cancelling part is key. I'd love to be able to have a less restrictive exhaust, but I don't want to sound like a honda ricer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info