More news from Cummins

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Looks like Toyota is looking to put the same 5L V8 in the next Tundra as well...

When Bloomberg spoke to Toyota USA Sales CEO Kazua Ohara recently, we highlighted his comments on the possible return of the Toyota Supra. However, the interview started with Ohara discussing the Tundra, and how it would take time to pinpoint and hone the pickup truck's brand image in the minds of consumers. That effort could get a boost, with a report in Edmunds saying that Toyota is "evaluating" the addition of a Cummins turbodiesel to the Tundra's engine options.

The Cummins powerplant is one of two options for the moment, the other being a hybrid powertrain. If the oil-burner got the thumbs-up, Toyota would follow the recent example of Nissan, which announced it would put a Cummins turbodiesel into its 2015 Titan. While the two Japanese companies make a closer comparison since they're both talking about Cummins applications in light-duty trucks, if it happens, it could be seen as further diluting the once-exclusive tie-up that Ram trucks has had with Cummins even though Ram has used Cummins in its heavy-duty truck.
Toyota hasn't said when it will decide on which direction to take, but either will be a move for the better in the view of segment watchers; PickupTrucks.com said the first of its top-five fixes for the Tundra would be a better engine, perhaps a diesel-electric hybrid from Toyota's Hino unit. Cummins told Edmunds it can supply a second manufacturer with the 5.0-liter diesel that Nissan will be using, so we wouldn't be surprised to see it end up in a Toyota or somewhere else.

And I just got this email at work that they're going to start putting the ISB engines in buses and smaller trucks. Might even take place of out Maxxforce 7 V8 motor that sucks balls.

Navistar Employees:
Today, we announced our intent to add the Cummins ISB 6.7L engine to our midrange engine offerings, expanding the choices available to our customers. The ISB will be an option for our International DuraStar and IC Bus CE Series vehicles. We’ll start taking orders immediately for both trucks and buses. Initial truck builds will begin this month, and shipments will start in December. Regular production for buses is scheduled for late January 2014.
Adding the ISB to our medium-duty lineup is an important part of our product strategy—and a critical step in our turnaround. It’s a proven, market-accepted engine that allows us the fastest way to get to market with an SCR offering. It will be a catalyst for sales as we look to improve our medium-duty market share in 2014 and beyond. Similar to our launch of heavy-duty SCR products that included the Cummins ISX, we believe the ISB will open the door to new customers and strengthen demand from existing customers—especially those who want commonality in their engine offerings.
So where does that put us with our proprietary engines? A few months ago, we said we would introduce SCR on our medium-duty engines at the beginning of calendar year 2014. With the addition of the ISB, we’ll have a proven SCR offering that we can bring to market faster. That gives us more time to lay out a revised transition plan for our own midrange engines, and we have an adequate number of credits.
We anticipate that adding the ISB to our portfolio could impact demand for the MaxxForce medium-duty engines we produce. But it’s too early to tell how this will affect our engine manufacturing operations. It will depend on customer demand and adoption rates. Meanwhile, we anticipate that adding the ISB will require very minimal changes to manufacturing processes at our truck and bus plants. In fact, we already have a lot of experience with building medium products with ISB because we’ve built this same configuration on the Ford Blue Diamond vehicles since 2010. This will allow us to ramp up production very quickly.
This is a positive development for Navistar—and our customers—as we continue on our Drive to Deliver improved business results. Thank you for your continued support.

I'm looking forward to the change to Cummins. They make a great product.

I wonder if they're hiring...:io:

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Rich do you want a job... If so pm me your skills and I could point you the right way to apply. You would most likely have to move to Columbus indiana though.

On another note I work at cummins tech center and there were 3 tundras sitting next to the titans last year at cep so I wondered if they were thinking about it as well.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Rich do you want a job... If so pm me your skills and I could point you the right way to apply. You would most likely have to move to Columbus indiana though.

On another note I work at cummins tech center and there were 3 tundras sitting next to the titans last year at cep so I wondered if they were thinking about it as well.

I work the parts counter at an International dealer. I couldn't move anytime soon tho

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
[URL=http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/27/chevy-colorado-gmc-canyon-midsize-pickup-trucks-to-get-diesel-e/]Chevy Colorado said:
According to the AN report, the next-gen Colorado and Canyon will offer a small, four-cylinder Duramax turbo diesel with a displacement of either 2.5 or 2.8 liters – both engines are currently used in this truck for other markets. This would allow GM to join the Cummins-powered Nissan Titan and Ram 1500 EcoDiesel as the only non-HD trucks in the US to offer diesel. The article goes on to say that the diesel versions of the Colorado and Canyon would launch about a year after the trucks go into production in fall of 2014.

Looks like GM is jumping into the race as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info