The 2015 Ford Mustang Could Go On A Massive Diet

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The current Ford Mustang GT packs a ton of power, but at 3,600 pounds, it's far from being a lightweight. But that may change with the all-new 2015 Mustang, which is reportedly going to cut out the carbs and hit the CrossFit gym a lot harder than its predecessor.

Edmunds reports that the next Mustang will not only be smaller than the outgoing car, it will be much lighter as well, dropping "a minimum of 400 pounds," according to an anonymous source.

That would put the new Mustang around 3,100 to 3,200 pounds depending on the model. While that won't make it a featherweight like the 2,700 pound Subaru BRZ, it is a significant reduction, and one that will likely improve acceleration, handling and fuel economy.

The source also said the new Mustang will have less front overhang and be some 15 inches shorter than the current model, but also narrower. Here's the bad news — it will likely come with a price hike.

While pricing for lower-end Mustangs is expected to be comparable to today's models, the source said high-end models could see a dramatic increase. The base 2014 Ford Mustang starts at $22,995.

"My understanding is that the maximum price is going to go up about 10 percent and that will be depending on equipment," the source said.

Let's hope this lighter, more sports car-like Mustang doesn't get too expensive.

:eek3: Let's hope they do actually stick to their guns and shed 400+ pounds. Not too thrilled at the prospect of adding cost, but if that's the price we have to pay to get a lighter car, so be it

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
"the maximum price is going to go up about 10 percent" ummmm A loaded 2014 GT500 cvt is something like $69,500. So we could see a $76,000+ mustang? That is hard to swallow. lol

Hopefully they meant to say the maximum the price can go up is 10%. Which is still a good jump on a base GT coupe from $30,900 to possibly $33,990.

I am all for the lower weight. 400 lbs. minimum reduction and 15" shorter is no joke. That would put it about 6" shorter than a foxbody. Interesting.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Isn't the C7 larger than the C6?

I agree 400 pounds, or more, is a lot. But by the sounds of it we are going to see a much smaller Mustang. Shorter than a 1979 to 1993 Mustang. My 2011 looks giant next to my Capri. If it is going to be that small I can see the big weight savings. I just can't imagine they would make the car that small.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Isn't the C7 larger than the C6?

I agree 400 pounds, or more, is a lot. But by the sounds of it we are going to see a much smaller Mustang. Shorter than a 1979 to 1993 Mustang. My 2011 looks giant next to my Capri. If it is going to be that small I can see the big weight savings. I just can't imagine they would make the car that small.

C7 is 100lbs. heavier.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
That doesn't answer the question. lol

A physically larger car will be heavier. So if the C7 is physically bigger than the lighter weight material they used to build the C7 helped limit the amount of weight it put on.

The Mustang is going to be physically smaller and incorporate lighter weight material as well. Both should help reduce weight.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Just drove it and am writing content so am up to my ass in data for the damn car.

Lighter V8 Mustang that's faster and gets 30+ mpg would be awesome. 30 might be lofty :rofl:
Guys with the current cars say with a tune and 3.31 gear they can get 28-30. I can see the 2015 being able to do it with the lighter weight. Especially if the motor gets direct injection.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I'm with everyone in saying, 400 is a lot, from one generation to the next. BUT if they are in fact shortening it, as much as they said, I think with some lighter weight materials, 400 pounds is easily done.

The Coyote motor seems also to be somewhat efficient, so I could definitely see 30 MPG out of the GT, if 400 pounds are dropped.

Still, I'm much more in for an IRS, <3200 pound, 6-speed, 350 HP 2.3L Ecoboost Mustang :wackit:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info