Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
We never get anything fun :wtc:

Honda-Civic-Type-R-2.jpg

Honda has something wicked up its sleeve, based on the latest batch of spy photos we've received. This is purportedly the next Honda Civic Type-R, out testing in Germany and on the NĂĽrburgring. The last generation of the Type-R went out of production in Europe in 2010, and while we admired it from afar, it's 2.0-liter, four-cylinder produced similar figures to the American-market Honda Civic Si.

From the looks of both it and the cars Honda engineers are benchmarking, the next Type-R will be much more powerful. In the spy photos, we can see four meaty exhaust pipes along with what is quite clearly an intercooler hiding behind the rear bumper. That's right, the next Type-R will be turbocharged. It'll need to be, though, if it's meant to tackle cars like the Opel Astra OPC, Ford Focus RS500 and Renault Megane RS Trophy (not pictured, but there according to our spies).

300 horsepower from a 2.0-liter engine should be on offer, and would match the competition quite well. Other obvious tweaks from the ho-hum five-door Civic are mainly aerodynamic. It sports an aggressive body kit with a meaty chin spoiler, rocker panels and a big rear wing. Red Brembo brake calipers can also be seen behind the sporty wheels and low-profile tires.

We'd expect the Civic Type-R to arrive in showrooms sometime in 2014, making a debut at the Frankfurt Auto Show a long shot. Geneva seems like the more likely locale for an unveiling.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Not really that impressive. Subaru and Mitsubishi have been doing it for years.

About time honda started going FI with their performance cars. They'll probably be pretty quick with some aftermarket parts

Yeah they have but a brand new evo is upwards of 40k anymore. The cobalt ss/tc is a hell of a car and was cheap making it easily accessible. It's not as impressive as an evo/sti, but it's not going after that pricepoint either nor does the evo have gas mileage better than a camaro ss. I'd buy a turbo civic as a daily beater that is being developed to be decent on gas. The evo is a great car and all, but it's not in the same market as the civic turbo would be.

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
Not really that impressive. Subaru and Mitsubishi have been doing it for years.

About time honda started going FI with their performance cars. They'll probably be pretty quick with some aftermarket parts

Yeah I guess... I just always think how my 2001 cobra didn't make much more than tha from a 32v 8... I gotta remember that was 10 + years ago

Except the Cobra made a lot of steady power and torque throughout the rev range.

This Civic will probably make its 300 HP between 8500 and 9000 RPM's.

*sigh* More like 7500-8k, but yes thats true just like most vehicles, its at the end of the rpm range.
The torque band should be pretty decent. Get a little 40-45mm turbo, It'll make its power immediately and keep pretty consistent torque.

I personally make 600hp, and I start spooling right away, with 20lbs at 4500rpm and a fairly consistant torque from 5krpm-8800rpm
With normal shifting within powerband, I respool in 300rpm (or less)

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Sooo what you're saying is... It's "fun" to have almost as much fun as a RWD car?

Yea, it's not as fun, but it's fun. I enjoy racing my FWD cars and my RWD car.

Let me tell you a tale of FWD and assgobs of torque, not a story for the faint of heart...

The day I sell my car, I'm running screaming back to RWD.

Well... lesbihonest, it's an SRT-4. Not exactly known for doing anything but TQ. They don't turn really well, as they really weren't meant nor designed for it. The chassis was made for one thing, and one thing only. To be really fast in stock form, thus living up to it's name of "pocket rocket of the year". Just simple mods to those things and it's a tire spinning, brain shaking, wheel hopping monster. I still after all of these years (since they came out) want one, and will eventually have one as my DD. In stock form those cars are so much fun to drive. My buddy has been in the 400whp range for years and many many miles, given the trans has had it's problems (he drives it like a dick) the motor is stout as fuck.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info