Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Coming Soon. With those two words, Subaru has officially dropped a confirmation bomb on our expectations for a higher performance version of the much-loved BRZ coupe, known, of course, as the Subaru BRZ STI. Two teaser images are being shown on the Japanese web-side home of STI along with the promise of 'coming soon,' and there's also a rather lovely looking set of twisty roads with the words 'Purity of Handling.'

There's not much we can glean from the two teaser images, but we're expecting an aggressive body package to go along with a significant increase in horsepower from the BRZ STI. We're also not totally clear on what 'coming soon' really means – the auto show season will be kicking off in full swing this fall, and we wouldn't be surprised to see a debut in Los Angeles. That said, you'll know more just as soon as we do.

http://sti.jp/

brztsteaser01.jpg

brztsteaser03.jpg

brztsteaser02.jpg

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
bleh

too small

Sat in it's twin the other day. Requirement for me is to be able to stuff the kids in the back in emergency situations. If they had their feet on the floor, with the seatback against their shins, I couldn't depress the clutch, and my head was up against the roof and pillar. The salesmen said in an auto it would be okay. No thanks.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Purity of handling = not adding tons of power if any.

Too much power can upset and overwhelm the chassis. Too much power does not necessarily upset handling.

I think Subaru has made enough performance oriented vehicles, that they won't swing and miss with this thing. Looking forward to a car that was in desperate need of another 50-100 horsepower.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Seeing as they haven't made a car with more than 305hp (and that hasn't changed since 04) I don't think there's a risk of too much power for this thing. I bet it'll be in the 240-260 range and end up being NA. Maybe they'll make a 2.5 NA version as they have to be planning on using the new engine architecture for the wrx/Sti/legacy gt at some point considering the current engine is essentially unchanged since like 93.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
:fu:
Teaser images of a purported Subaru BRZ STI were uncovered last night and sent the internet into a collective state of hysterics. That's not hugely surprising, though, considering the reverence that the BRZ, along with its fraternal twins, the Scion FR-S and Toyota GT86, have garnered from the automotive media. The sole sticking point, really, has been its mere 200 horsepower. People have been chomping at the bit over a higher output version of the sublime rear driver.

Those same people may be in for a disappointment, though. See, the BRZ STI that was teased last night might not be a real STI. Instead, it's looking like it might be a BRZ tS. According to 7Tune.com, the timing of the photos posted on Subaru's website lined up with Subaru's 86 Festival at Fuji Speedway, where the Subaru BRZ tS debuted. Despite wearing STI badges, the tS isn't the full-tilt STI model we've been hoping for. Instead, you can think of the relationship between tS models and STI models as sort of like the difference between a BMW 3 Series M Sport and a BMW M3.

Certainly, the speccing of the tS supports that idea. The engine of the BRZ remains untouched in both tS models, which is one of the primary things we expect a full-bore STI to address. A number of interior and exterior styling items have been added, along with Bilstein suspension pieces and six-pot Brembo brakes. The tS sports two different trim levels, with the higher end using Recaro seats, black alloy wheels, and a carbon-fiber rear spoiler. The base tS features silver wheels, standard seats, and all the same suspension and brake upgrades. Adding fuel to the fire that these are not the true STI models is the limited production run - Subaru will only build 750 tS cars.

Still, there's hope that we'll eventually see a BRZ STI, with rumors to support that argument. The 2013-2014 auto show season will ultimately tell the tale.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info