Camaro Z/28 Q&A with Chief Engineer

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
i have a few issues with what he said.
#1 The reason the GNX didn't make it passed 547 total units is why ??? Oh yeah, nothing could be faster than the Corvette (at least offered by GM )
#2 I didn't know that when the Z/28 was first introduced it was a track only / ready car.
Granted the Camaro was involved in the Trans Am racing series, but was the Z/28 a track car out of the box ? at least in late 60s standards ?
#3 They will be scrutinized because someone who may want to drive this model on a daily basis or on a more regular basis doesn't have the creature comforts like an SS or even ZL1
#4 based upon the last reason, this car is going to cost as much if not more than the ZL1, making it affordable to whom ?

wasn't the purpose of the camaro "affordable power and performance" compared to the Corvette.

FTS

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I love the LS7 but am a bit disappointed that they will be shoving it into this car. Please tell me that they worked it over one hell of a lot so that is makes more than 500 at the crank.

Also, how much weight reduction did they really do? It seems like they got rid of at least a few key creature comforts, so there had better be significant weight reduction that came as a result!

For the cost that I believe this will come at, I highly doubt it will be the "Ford beater" that it is touted to be. Time will tell. They had better price this really well if they want to sell many.

Shells_04

TCG Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Elgin, Il
They did a good job of making a track ready car but how many track ready cars do you need in a line up? It's rather redundant. I'm all for removing creature comforts to save weight but I would have liked him to list what they did and how much was saved in the process. And as for beating ford, Chevy has a little way to go yet

boogeyman

T-BURD
Sep 25, 2012
demotte in
price tags and track time will tell if this will really beat the mustang its real competition the boss 302 has proven to be very fast on the track and at 444 hp and lighter but im guessing 5-600 lbs and with a much more time tested and proven design i think will still beat it on track. its a baddass car for sure but time will tell

yjmud

Addict
Oct 12, 2010
crystal lake
#2 I didn't know that when the Z/28 was first introduced it was a track only / ready car.
Granted the Camaro was involved in the Trans Am racing series, but was the Z/28 a track car out of the box ? at least in late 60s standards ?
the 67 was a factory race car every year after that it got further away just like the 65 gt 350
they should have brought it back like the original a small displacement high revving v8

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
price tags and track time will tell if this will really beat the mustang its real competition the boss 302 has proven to be very fast on the track and at 444 hp and lighter but im guessing 5-600 lbs and with a much more time tested and proven design i think will still beat it on track. its a baddass car for sure but time will tell

1LE already beat a Boss with less HP so the Z/28 should have no problems beating any mustang around a track.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info