Toyota Corolla?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I thought the Toyota Corolla was supposed to be the cheap, plain Jane of the line up. Where did this come from? It's still a bottom of the brand econobox but it finally looks like a car that people who think of cars as more than appliances might want to own.

5728d3a2-64dc-4e3f-9ef3-2fd404758e69_2014_Corolla_S_001.jpg

01840acb-e09a-44be-884b-c651ccc326e0_2014_Corolla_S_002.jpg

5602be18-eea6-48aa-aff4-18fdc42abbce_2014_Corolla_S_011.jpg

877ff401-7e81-4d29-b216-bfcee0d9bb66_2014_CorollaLE_Eco_004.jpg

1e52dcea-f52c-4ddf-9e63-f6cfdf623625_2014_Corolla_S_008.jpg

Surprisingly similar to the carbon fiber-trimmed Corolla Furia concept from this year’s Detroit Auto Show, the production version sheds the frumpy profile from the existing car by stretching the wheelbase and overall length by almost four inches. With chiseled lines and sculpted creases on the outside and a sportily svelte cabin within, it’s the best-looking Corolla yet. Nonetheless, the smallish tires tucked into cavernous wheel wells show it’s still an economy car at its core.

And while the fundamentals of the car won’t change much — there’s still a 1.8-liter, 132-hp engine, a four-speed automatic (in addition to a six-speed manual and CVT) and a torsion beam rear suspension — Toyota promises a more engaging drive. Steering has been slightly quickened to 3.19 turns lock-to-lock similar to the pre-refresh 2012 Honda Civic, and the electronic power steering unit touts better road feedback and accuracy. The S trim traditionally has little frills and no thrills, and for 2014 it’ll see a stiffened suspension setup as well as a 140-hp engine.

All-new 2014 Toyota Corolla goes from bland to bold | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
$17K base price.

Fuel economy 40-45 mpg.

Corolla will be offered with Toyota's CVT trans which will include 7 simulated shift points to avoid the "rubber band" feel. "Let's make a trans that doesn't have to shift and then make it feel like it's shifting." LOL!

More info at Motor Trend's First Look:

2014 Toyota Corolla First Look - Motor Trend

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
the people that buy these, buy them as an appliance. not for looks
the corollla is probably the most boring car on the road, but they last forever and cost next to nothing to keep running. on a side note, that interior looks really nice. a huge improvement over the last gen

I thought the same thing on the Focus Factor as soon as I saw it.

I'm not surprised at all that it looks a bit more "upscale", both in appearance, and amenities. If anything, I'm a bit surprised it took this long to happen to some of these cars. The standards are constantly changing for automobiles. The bar is raised around every 5 - 10 years for what equipment and features are expected to be standard. A few decades ago, power steering and brakes were an option mostly on elite cars. Then it became an option on all cars, and finally, they were standard on all cars. Power doors and windows followed the same pattern, as did CD players, and more recently, radios with MP3 and/or AUX in jacks, etc. Now it's the turn of these touch screen multi-media/bluetooth systems. Only a handful of cars had them a few years back. Now most get them as an option, even compact/entry level cars, and it will only be a matter of another 5 - 10 years before they become standard on everything.

This will only help Toyota's sales IMO. You'll still get those loyal to the Corolla nameplate due to its reputation of reliability and fuel efficiency. At the same time, you may lure in a few others who otherwise would not have considered it because it's more "modern" now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info