The Four-Cylinder Turbo Ford Mustang Will Reportedly Be Only For Europeans

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
You know how we're always bitching and moaning about how Europe gets cooler cars than we do? If these reports are accurate, then there's one more we can add to that list: a turbocharged four-cylinder Ford Mustang with 300 horsepower.

Reports this morning have surfaced from Edmunds and Autocar that say the redesigned 2015 Ford Mustang (or 2014.5 Mustang, we're not sure yet) will get a 2.3-liter turbocharged Ecoboost engine based on the 2.0-liter motor in the Ford Focus ST. The larger displacement means a boost of about 50 horses.

The Mustang is going global with its next redesign, so it needs a more efficient engine than what it offers currently for Europe. From Edmunds:

The four-cylinder engine is not expected to be offered to Mustang buyers in the U.S. The small four-cylinder engine will be offered to European buyers as a more economical, low-emissions alternative to the V8 engine in the Mustang, which is likely to be highly taxed in Europe. European buyers who feel that a Mustang should only have a V8 engine will be offered that as well.

Astute Mustang scholars will recall that this setup sounds awfully similar to the Mustang SVO from the 1980s, which also had a 2.3-liter turbo four and has become something of a coveted classic today.

How do we feel about this, Jalops? Are we mad we won't be getting the neo-SVO, or are the V6 and V8 good enough for us Americans?
Discuss

:fu:

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The Ecoboost lineup costs more than their N/A counterparts. The V6 in the base model is fast enough for the bottom barrel Mustang. I'd rather see the EcoBoost 3.5L in a mid level Mustang (SVO?) than a 4.

I think they'd be hard pressed to find people willing to pay the same money for a turbo 3.5, when they could have the V8 that makes more power.

All I want is them to replace the V6 base with the I4T. Then they can create a "Performance" package, where they put all the Brembo and suspension stuff, bump the power a bit and call it the SVO. But hey, that's just me.

Id rather see the 3.5 in a fusion, fuck a SHO or SVO.

A 3.5T Fusion would be the nuts

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I think it would be nice to have the option of a 4 6 or V8, but that's probably WAAAAY too cost prohibitive. European crash and other various laws / requirements are different than here, which is probably also another factor as to why we wont see the 4 banger "Stang.

which is probably also another.

I said PROBABLY!!!...don't quote me on this!

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
The market for high performance sedans is pretty niche.

Lincoln should build a performance car. They need it more than Ford.

Yeah its too bad most new lincolns resemble a pile of puke. If they could get a fusion with the 3.5TT under $40k I bet it would sell like hot cakes. That said, I dont really know what they go for with the current power train.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah its too bad most new lincolns resemble a pile of puke. If they could get a fusion with the 3.5TT under $40k I bet it would sell like hot cakes. That said, I dont really know what they go for with the current power train.

My guess is they'd never put any Ecoboost motor bigger than an I4T in a Fusion platformed car. Also, as I recall, the NA 3.5 in the Fusion was a pretty tight squeeze. Those V6 Duratec motors are quite sizable.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Well, that and rwd, not sure how the ford late gens awd cars are. I think something should be offered by someone that is just a step under ctsv performance, but without the luxury tax. Give me a sedan that looks good, can handle well, ~400hp stock, and under $40k that is mod-friendly. I guess a G8GT would fit that bill, but they are old now and not made anymore.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Yeah I was not overly enthusiastic about the styling, will wait to judge when I see them in person though. Also, FI would be preferred. Who doesnt like adding more than 50hp with a tune. GM should have made the caprice and then a fucking Impala SS with the ctsv powertrain but not all the fancy cadillac shit. That would have been the shit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info