đź“° Auto News Fiat & Ferrari are holding back the Viper's potential?

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
For whatever reason, I had a hard time reading this...just seemed poorly written, but anyway..

Motor Trend has got word that an SRT Viper ACR – the acronym for American Club Racing – is headed for a reveal in 2014. However, at the same time as SRT is working to maximize the model's performance, the report says there's an internally imposed performance ceiling on at least one aspect of the super coupe that will keep it from being all the Viper it could be.

Having watched other super sports cars go super fast on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires – MT cites the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 as the prime example – SRT is looking to Pirelli for a set of rubber that improves on the Viper's P-Zero Corsas. Where the Viper ACR will be restrained is its power-to-weight ratio; rumor is that bosses at parent company Fiat have decreed that the Viper cannot outdo the 5.2-pounds-per-horsepower of the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. It's also rumored that Ferrari doesn't want the Viper to have more power than the 731 horsepower of the F12, even though SRT has said it would be "relatively easy" to increase output from the current 640 hp.

The last Viper ACR didn't get more oomph under the hood, so there should be plenty of ways to navigate Ferrari sensitivities. However, the last Viper club racer did offer a Hardcore Package that dropped weight by 40 pounds. If the specific power-to-weight number really is a bright line for the coupe's development, it will be interesting to see if such a package is offered again and how SRT manages it.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
fiat, chrysler and ferrari are all the same owner. yes.

and masserati and alfa romeo

IMO Ferrari people are loyal to the brand. Doesnt matter if another car thats cheaper makes more power. Its not like its a lower end Ferrari making more power then its higher end brother. Its not the same as a camaro corvette deal. Your not buying a new viper in a ferrari dealership.

EXACTLY!! ferrari owners will always buy ferraris like viper owners will always buy vipers.... I call BS on ferrari holding the viper back... SRT will pruduce another "hardcore package" i bet to make up the difference...

on another note - i thnk most of us know just by adding more horsepower, does not gaurantee the car to be faster - power, weight, suspension, traction all have to work together!

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
It makes sense. This has been happening in the auto industry for years. Why do you thing the Fiero got stuck with such garbage engines? Why the Porsche boxter and Cayman never get a serious powerplant like the 911. Companies can't have their upper tier models being trumped.

The Boxster and Cayman are really good examples. There have been many tests that show that the Boxster and Cayman S models nearly exactly match the performance of the base 911, but never exceed it. Really is a shame too, there performance potential of the mid-engine lay-out of the Cayman, matched with an LSD and better motor would really be world beating.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
The Boxster and Cayman are really good examples. There have been many tests that show that the Boxster and Cayman S models nearly exactly match the performance of the base 911, but never exceed it. Really is a shame too, there performance potential of the mid-engine lay-out of the Cayman, matched with an LSD and better motor would really be world beating.

Or just buy a 911?

I mean I guess its cooler being mid engine vs rear engine but meh

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info