đź“° Auto News Family cars safer than luxury cars in new crash test

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
In a new narrow impact test that replicates hitting a pole or other narrow object, midsize family cars tested better than luxury cars.

IIHS: Family cars safer than luxury cars in new crash test

More mass-market midsize family cars got passing marks than did luxury cars in a relatively new crash test designed to show how well vehicles protect passengers when they crash into a narrow object, the insurance industry's safety arm says today.

Of 18 moderately priced midsize cars tested from the 2013 model year, 13 were rated good or acceptable in a new kind of crash test engineered by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Only three of 11 midsize 2012 luxury cars tested earlier got those ratings.

"About 10,000 deaths a year are in frontal crashes and about one-fourth of those are 'narrow offset,' " says IIHS spokesman Russ Rader. "We think it is important to look at how people are actually dying in real-world crashes."

The two getting the top "good" score in the offset test among the 2013 family car pack: Suzuki Kizashi and new Honda Accord sedan, though Suzuki recently announced it will no longer sell cars in the U.S.

Cars rated "acceptable" include Ford Fusion, Honda Accord coupe, Kia Optima, Nissan Altima, Nissan Maxima, Subaru Legacy, Subaru Outback, Dodge Avenger, Chrysler 200, Mazda6 and Volkswagen Passat. "Marginal" performers are Hyundai Sonata, Chevrolet Malibu and VW Jetta. Those rated "poor" include Toyota's Camry and Prius V hybrid.

Among the luxury vehicles, Acura TL and Volvo S60 rated "good," and Infiniti's G sedan was "acceptable." "Marginal" performers included Acura TSX, BMW 3 Series, Lincoln MKZ and Volkswagen CC. Lexus ES and IS, Mercedes-Benz C-Class and Audi A4 rated "poor."

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
pardon my ignorance.. but what wasnt cool about the s60r?

300hp awd with brembos... Mirza had one.. pretty slick car

Because they still make that......?

This test is for new cars; hence my comment about Volvo only caring about safety now and all their cars being boring minus the c30.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info