Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
BMW-M3-F80-Spy-Shots-009.jpg

Few cars stir up the rumormill quite like the next BMW M3. To that end, BMW fan-site BimmerPost was able to track down a source, apparently tied to the development of the next M3 (and M4), who divulged a few juicy bits on power, weight and timing.

Horsepower in the F80 M3 and F82 M4 is said to be close to that of the E90/E92, which was rated at 414 hp. This contrasts with previous reports that had horsepower pegged closer to 450. It should also be noted that BMW has been known to underrate the horsepower values for its engines. That said, the new turbocharged straight-six will supposedly develop 100 more pound-feet of torque over the current generation, too. The 4.0-liter S65 V8 found in the E90/E92 M3 developed 295 lb-ft, putting the new engine's torque in the 395 lb-ft neighborhood. We can live with that.

An equally interesting development regards the proposed weight of the new Ultimate Driving Machine. Apparently BMW is targeting the curb weight of the E46 M3. That older-generation Bimmer clocked in at about 3,400 pounds, while the E90/E92 M3 had grown to over 3,700 pounds. The 300-pound weight savings should come as welcome news to M3 purists, critical of the progressive weight gains from generation to generation.

For those interested in the aesthetic of the next performance-Bimmer, the F80/F82 update of the M3 is claimed to feature a more aggressive look, highlighted by a power bulge hood and larger fenders. That styling direction should not come as much of a surprise, as the more aggressive appearance is customary to the M3 by now and matches what we've seen in spy shots.

According to source, the F80 M3 sedan will debut first and come to market in early 2014. It will be followed by the M4 coupe, though exact timing was not revealed.

Next M3 may be lighter than expected, with lots more torque

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Same horsepower, more torque = SAME THRUST. This is a fucking stupid move by BMW.

How is it stupid? You know bmw undershoots its numbers on their turbo cars and more torque gives more acceleration down low especially when the car is lighter. Do you think this will be slower than the current m3? I know you'll find any reason to hate this car even if it's better in all areas. Time will tell how well it does though.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
How is it stupid? You know bmw undershoots its numbers on their turbo cars and more torque gives more acceleration down low especially when the car is lighter. Do you think this will be slower than the current m3? I know you'll find any reason to hate this car even if it's better in all areas. Time will tell how well it does though.

Of course it will be faster, it's going to have the same horsepower and be lighter. Isn't every generation of car model supposed to be faster though? In an era where Mustangs have over 600hp stock, having a 414 hp M3 coming out in 2014 is a bad move. Having more torque does NOT give more acceleration down low. Having more torque down low does, that's not what this article is saying, the v8 m3 has a steady amount of torque down low and up high, due to its high rev, it also has a 4.0 rear end which guess what, means a ton of power off the line.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Of course it will be faster, it's going to have the same horsepower and be lighter. Isn't every generation of car model supposed to be faster though? In an era where Mustangs have over 600hp stock, having a 414 hp M3 coming out in 2014 is a bad move. Having more torque does NOT give more acceleration down low. Having more torque down low does, that's not what this article is saying, the v8 m3 has a steady amount of torque down low and up high, due to its high rev, it also has a 4.0 rear end which guess what, means a ton of power off the line.

It will be faster. 300 lbs alone is worth a few tenths, plus the better power curve will help. I'd bet it's close to .5 faster stock for stock than your M3 was from the factory.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX

But to call BMW stupid and implying the next m3 is a failure with preliminary information is ridiculous. Look at what BMW has done with the new m5. They came out and impressed everyone and shattered many expectations while dyno's show that the car is grossly underrated from factory. BMW isn't stupid, they aren't going to show their cards until they are ready to drop it into production.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
But to call BMW stupid and implying the next m3 is a failure with preliminary information is ridiculous. Look at what BMW has done with the new m5. They came out and impressed everyone and shattered many expectations while dyno's show that the car is grossly underrated from factory. BMW isn't stupid, they aren't going to show their cards until they are ready to drop it into production.

The new m5 has 50 more hp than the old one....not the same amount. Let me put it to you this way, I plan on buying a used r8 for more money than a brand new M3 for less, and I'm a current M3 owner. What they are doing lately is STUPID. M3 will be the sedan, and they are making an M4 coupe? I mean come on, really? Who will be in the market to buy an M3 for 70k with 414 hp in 2014? Not me, that's for sure.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Turk, did some one take a dump in your cheerio's this morning? What did I say that is factually incorrect? I said that the m5 is grossly underrated. Here you go. BMW must be doing so terrible with their latest generation of cars right? I mean the 1m and the m5 are just terrible right? I thought before I spoke and just because you are first to throw an insult at me doesn't add any value to the point you are trying to make. You are making a judgment call with preliminary information and bias. I'm speculating that given bmw's latest releases(1m and m5) the next m3/m4 may follow a similar trend.

Dyno Results: F10 BMW M5 underrated - 527 RWHP

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Turk, did some one take a dump in your cheerio's this morning? What did I say that is factually incorrect? I said that the m5 is grossly underrated. Here you go. BMW must be doing so terrible with their latest generation of cars right? I mean the 1m and the m5 are just terrible right? I thought before I spoke and just because you are first to throw an insult at me doesn't add any value to the point you are trying to make. You are making a judgment call with preliminary information and bias. I'm speculating that given bmw's latest releases(1m and m5) the next m3/m4 may follow a similar trend.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Turbo-You don't know much about cars do you. 255 ft lbs to the wheels.....Oh noes Dynojet better start building stronger dynos to handle that Bavarian torque.

Again, you obviously aren't an engineer. When you can rev to 8400 rpms you can shorten the gear ratios making much more power through the gears.

These two cars have about the same torque dumbass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1hO6cj9DWc

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008

Sorry, didn't know your real name was BMW. I am sorry for calling you stupid. (I never threw an insult your way, read my posts)

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Again, you obviously aren't an engineer. When you can rev to 8400 rpms you can shorten the gear ratios making much more power through the gears.

Are you disputing that turbos don't make MORE torque? Jeez sometimes you argue for the sake of arguing. A turbocharged 6 WILL make more torque than your high revving V8.

For example, look at the tq curve of the 3.5 L EcoBoost V6.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info