Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
and there you have it. shocking news to no one.
Ford has finally let the proverbial cat out of the bag, confirming what most Mustang enthusiasts and automotive journalists already knew; the 2015 Mustang is getting a 2.0 liter, EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine. Additionally, the next Mustang will get an independent rear-suspension, and a new small-displacement, high-powered V6 engine called “Project Nano.”

This all comes via Automotive News via an unnamed executive at Ford Motor Company. It also confirms what we already knew when Ford first introduced its now-popular EcoBoost engines. The Mustang is going world class, and it has to to survive.

The Automotive News report also confirms that the looks of the next-gen Mustang will be a big departure from the current styling, though perhaps not as radical as we’ve been hearing. Of course, getting an official, on-the-record statement would be better, but Bill Ford Jr. and other executives have already let on what the Blue Oval is planning. After all, it only makes sense.

Under CEO Alan Mulally’s “One Ford” plan, there will be a lot more platform sharing between the various markets Ford sells cars in. The Mustang is definitely going to Europe, and may head over to Asia as well. Hence the smaller motor and independent rear-suspension, which will better appeal to European sensibilities. The report also mentions a small-displacement, high-output V6…but no mention of a V8 engine.

That said, it is hard to imagine Ford not offering a V8 in the Mustang after the Mustang II debacle in 1974 (which still sold like hotcakes, by the way). More likely than not, the 5.0 V8 will also soldier on, though perhaps in a more premium capacity.

There is a lot to rejoice about in this announcement…and a few things to keep an eye on as well.

Ford Confirms EcoBoost Engine, IRS For 2015 Mustang - StangTV

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Based on what the styling direction I've seen ford go with other vehicles like the fusion and the taurus in the last two years I have a feeling that they are about to turn an american icon into a car that is gonna look very much like a G35 to please the world and make it appeling to them, it will be really sad to see the mustang lose its american muscle heritage

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Well maybe it's time to call it quits on the mustang.

Welcome to the dark side, we have cookies.

I'm betting they will still do a GT500 with a V8. But that's gonna be the only way to get one. Hell the new NA V-6 makes 300 hp. That's 75 more than the fox body that everyone loves. I just hope it's not another mustang II.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I think it's a bit too early to panic on this as well. There's not mention of a V8, doesn't mean there won't be any. I mean, this is supposed to be about promoting the new choices not listing the old stuff that the mustang already has.

Besides this, I think that the opinions will be largely at the hands of this "project nano" they are talking about. A DI V6 of say 4L capacity plus or minus may have a higher output than a current gen 5.0 and being boosted could be a lot easier to make power with just using bolt ons. If they put a bad ass (read:significantly overbuilt) bottom end in these it could be the birthing of a legend. Even with the lower displacements and cylinders power could theoretically be up.

The modular engines have some amazing features and technology but holy fuck the valvetrain is fucking pricey. I'd rather do FI on one than try to get cams for it, at least until I've wrung all the power I can out of it with boost. Even a lowly 2V can make enough power to turn the rods into pretzels with a turbo or blower setup.

For political reasons If I were them I'd almost do a "mini" V8 with the Ecoboost setup, problem is why bother if it costs more to make the same power.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
What about the mustang II didn't think it had a v8 for a few years. At least they aren't axing it to replace with the probe. Probe II anyone?

Yeah, and ask any mustang guy what they think of the mustang II.

I don't think they would have come up with the new 5.0 motor just to run it for a few years and dump it. I think a boosted version would be cool, but I also want to see the car continue to have a V8 even if it's the GT500 model, or another high end model.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info