Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
See Cliffs in 2nd post

2012_dodge_dart_f34_ft_524121_717.jpg

Cheap is a four-letter word. Inexpensive is the description most compact sedans aspire to, but even that's not enough anymore. In just a few short years, the compact sedan segment in the U.S. has grown from a barren wasteland into a thumpin' nightclub, and buyers are now spoiled with choice.

The 2013 Dodge Dart is arriving just as the party reaches critical mass. It's an all-new (well, to the U.S.) sedan that is one of the fruits of the Chrysler-Fiat mind meld, and it's vying for your attention with the promise of Italian roots and Dodge attitude.

Imported From Detroit by Way of Italy
You probably know by now that the Dodge Dart started life as an Alfa Romeo Giulietta that underwent that very American process of reconstructive surgery. Dodge engineers widened the track, lengthened the wheelbase, retuned the suspension and worked up some new sheet metal in the process. Assembled in Illinois, the Dart fills the void left by the Neon while overlapping somewhat — on paper, at least — with the Chrysler 200.

By the time the rollout is complete, you'll be able to buy the 2013 Dodge Dart in a bewildering mix of trim levels and powertrain choices. Our tester, a Limited, starts at a penny shy of $20 grand and was optioned to $23,875, near the pointiest end of pricing for the compact sedan. It's a not-inconsiderable slice of skrilla but not out of whack with its crosstown competition, the Chevrolet Cruze and Ford Focus.

Downsized Engine and Manual Gearbox
Headlining our tester's options list is its Fiat-sourced 1.4-liter turbocharged MultiAir four-cylinder engine, which promises to deal from both sides of the power and efficiency deck. Power delivery from the little engine that could is at once impressive and frustrating. It's got an unexpectedly rorty exhaust note, delivers plentiful midrange torque when you give it the spurs and spins with little vibration.

2012_dodge_dart_eng_ft_524121_717.jpg

If you catch the engine below 2,500 rpm, however, it's flat-footed. The little engine doesn't build meaningful boost that low in the rev range. So in situations like leaving a light, or trying to frogger into a hole amid creeping freeway traffic, you're basically trying to accelerate 3,253 pounds of sedan with a normally aspirated 1.4-liter engine, the results of which are predictable. As a result you find yourself holding onto gears longer than you otherwise might in order to avoid being caught out.

Keeping the Dart on boil involves palming its perfectly sized metallic shift ball and rowing the six-speed manual at a vigorous pace. Its throws are longer than we'd like, but the upside of this geometric equation is that the associated shift effort is light. Light, that is, except for the 2nd gear gate, which exhibited a sticky resistance. The remaining gates engage positively, and the clutch take-up is smooth and predictable.

Proper Quick
Be generous with the throttle and the 2013 Dodge Dart scoots enthusiastically. At the test track we clocked the Dart from zero to 60 mph in 8.3 seconds (8.0 seconds with 1 foot of rollout as on a drag strip) and through the quarter-mile in 16.1 seconds at 85.4 mph. This performance bests both the last 2012 Ford Focus Titanium we tested (8.7, 8.3, and 16.4 seconds at 85.4 mph, respectively) and the Chevrolet Cruze (9.6, 9.3, and 17.1 seconds at 80.4 mph, respectively).

2012_dodge_dart_actr34_ft_524121_717.jpg

We used 87 octane fuel in our testing of the Dart and things likely would have perked up a bit on premium. There is no requirement to run premium in the Dart, but small-cube turbo engines can return better drivability and fuel savings when run on premium, particularly in hot weather.

Fuel economy will be a big factor in determining whether you feel the need to pony up the extra $1,300 for the 1.4-liter turbo found in our tester. Its window sticker reads 27/39 city/highway mpg, a rating we'll put to the test with our upcoming long-term Dart. The 22 mpg we measured during this short test was the result of a single fill and is not statistically significant.

Substance in the Mix
Another concern surrounding the purchase of an inexpensive car is the fear that you'll get, well, a cheap car. There's usually some kind of coarseness or corner-cutting evident in the way it takes to the road. In many ways, however, the Dart drives like a more expensive car than its price point suggests. From the good noise isolation to the way the suspension picks up its feet over road zits, there's real substance to the Dart. The steering is another high point. Though not brimming with feel, the rack is quick, builds effort in a natural way and has great on-center characteristics — rare traits for an electric power steering system, especially one found in an entry-level-ish car such as this one.

2012_dodge_dart_fint_ft_524121_717.jpg

In our testing the 2013 Dodge Dart ran through the slalom at 65.1 mph and generated a maximum of 0.86g on the skid pad. Note that even with the stability control system switched off, it wasn't fully off. This likely left some performance on the table, not that we expect this will be a sticking point for the majority of Dart owners. Braking from 60 mph required just 118 feet, a solid result that's among the best in the segment and even more impressive considering the Dart rolls on all-season tires.

There's a bit more compliance to the suspension underpinnings than you'd want for truly vigorous drives, as its suspension bushings are half as firm as they should be. Nevertheless, the Dart is surprisingly satisfying to thread through a smooth canyon road if you're just trying to make brisk work of it and not set a time-to-distance record. Find the groove and you can find enjoyment in orchestrating its swell of torque and pivoting its nose through compressions and apexes. There's a latent spirit in the Dart, a fundamental goodness about the chassis that is evident in these driving conditions. This chassis might just be a terrific starting point for the upcoming SRT Dart.

The Elements of Style
What's more, this is a good-looking car. It won't stop anyone in their tracks, but its crisp styling elements come together cohesively with just-right proportions and a minimum of fussiness. Hard to say that about the Focus sedan.

Our tester's black-trimmed cabin looks anonymously inoffensive at first, but a few areas will rouse persnickety observers. On sunny days the flat expanse of dashboard reflects prominently on the inside of the steep-raked windshield, and the hard surfaces that make up the lower half of the dashboard are mismatched in color to those above them. This lower piece might have been carried over intact from a mid-'90s Chrysler Cirrus, shaped as though recently pressed out of a Jell-O mold. The omission of any kind of trunk grab handle is a strange one, too. Minor quibbles, to be sure. Fortunately the Dart's designers resisted the temptation to slather the interior with cheesy faux-chrome accents, so there's that.

2012_dodge_dart_seat_ft_524121_717.jpg

You might not guess that the Dart is a compact car from sitting in the driver seat. To lift a page from Pontiac's forgotten "e aho laula" ad campaign, wider is indeed better — the Dart's generous width makes the cabin feel spacious and beefs up the car's stance. The seats are comfy and plush, if a bit overstuffed in that traditional Detroit way. Even the normally detestable touchscreen multimedia interface works well, owing to the screen's ample size, uncluttered format and intuitive screen flow. Equipment in our top-trim Limited tester was plentiful, including dual-zone climate control, a back-up camera, heated steering wheel and front seats, automatic headlights and leather. There's even a little hideaway bin built into the bottom cushion of the passenger front seat.

The Right Mix of New and Old
So while the Dart may unearth a name from the company's past, it is a thoroughly modern compact car. You can feel it from behind the wheel and see it when you approach it from across the parking lot.

2012_dodge_dart_cc_ft_524121_717.jpg

It's a competitive sedan, too, offering space, refinement and satisfying dynamics. An even more powerful R/T version will be available later this year, but even the 1.4-liter outmuscles its current competition. So yeah, the 2013 Dodge Dart may be a little late to the compact sedan party, but it just gave the segment a second wind.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Vehicle Tested:
2013 Dodge Dart Limited

Base Price:
$20,790

Price as Tested:
$23,875

Engine:
1.4-liter turbocharged inline-4

Gearbox:
Six-speed manual

Power:
160 hp @ 5,500 rpm

0-60 mph:
8.3 seconds

Fuel Mileage:
22 mpg observed

What Works (pros):
Solid refinement; there's a spry chassis lurking in there.

What Needs Work (cons):
Drab cabin, nonlinear power delivery.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
its funny - so far everybody really likes the new car... except MotorTrend pretty much said it was junk and they hate it.

everybody complains of handling and braking distance, but then they also say its because of the eco-friendly low rolling resistance tires

also, everyone complains of turbo lag, i dont see how its possible because the new turbo is so tiny, it makes the old srt4 turbo look huge!!

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
That observed MPG is pretty low...

We used 87 octane fuel in our testing of the Dart and things likely would have perked up a bit on premium. There is no requirement to run premium in the Dart, but small-cube turbo engines can return better drivability and fuel savings when run on premium, particularly in hot weather.

Fuel economy will be a big factor in determining whether you feel the need to pony up the extra $1,300 for the 1.4-liter turbo found in our tester. Its window sticker reads 27/39 city/highway mpg, a rating we'll put to the test with our upcoming long-term Dart. The 22 mpg we measured during this short test was the result of a single fill and is not statistically significant.

They only went through 1 tank of gas on 87 with a turbo. That one tank was them flogging it around for all these tests. I'd guess it can do a lot better than that.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
its funny - so far everybody really likes the new car... except MotorTrend pretty much said it was junk and they hate it.

everybody complains of handling and braking distance, but then they also say its because of the eco-friendly low rolling resistance tires

also, everyone complains of turbo lag, i dont see how its possible because the new turbo is so tiny, it makes the old srt4 turbo look huge!!

I don't think turbo lag is as much of a problem as the poor gearing, which is way too long; likely for gas mileage. In second gear I couldn't climb a slight incline with the tubo Dart even with the accelerator floored. I had to downshift to first. And when I say couldn't, I mean the car was not gaining speed at all floored.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
They only went through 1 tank of gas on 87 with a turbo. That one tank was them flogging it around for all these tests. I'd guess it can do a lot better than that.

I would also think it would get better mileage as the miles go up/engine breaks in - seems a lot more newer cars are not breaking in until 3-5000 miles... my wifes honda didnt get above 33 until about 4000 miles - now it gets about 37

Seats look comfy.... needs a bigger motor. these tiny ass motors are useless unless they're in boost, like bru's situation.

thing makes 180 lb/ft of torque... i dont think its the motor size, i think i agree with Bru on the gearing - but that makes no sense either because any common sense would tell you that you do not need the extra tall gearing until 5th or 6th gear for highway mileage... stupid smart people at chrysler

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
thing makes 180 lb/ft of torque... i dont think its the motor size, i think i agree with Bru on the gearing - but that makes no sense either because any common sense would tell you that you do not need the extra tall gearing until 5th or 6th gear for highway mileage... stupid smart people at chrysler

Yeah, 180 lb/ft at peak power, you have to remember its a turbo motor with small cubes. That .6 liters really helps when the car isn't in boost. I've driven the cruze eco's and other cars with 1.4-1.6 engines, you've got to rev on them all day to have useful power. Where as cars with 2.0 turbo motors have a much bettter feel to them, you feel like you've still got an engine to move you, and the turbo is just "extra" not that you need the turbo to go anywhere in the car.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Yeah, 180 lb/ft at peak power, you have to remember its a turbo motor with small cubes. That .6 liters really helps when the car isn't in boost. I've driven the cruze eco's and other cars with 1.4-1.6 engines, you've got to rev on them all day to have useful power. Where as cars with 2.0 turbo motors have a much bettter feel to them, you feel like you've still got an engine to move you, and the turbo is just "extra" not that you need the turbo to go anywhere in the car.

if you say so - ive never driven a small 1.4 so i guess we will have ot wait until next week. All I know is that my wifes civic has a 1.6 and cannot move from a stop light either - and it blows passing on the highway... I dont see how the dart can be worse...

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
I know a couple people have asked about the employee pricing and I got some info for you... The dealer had a pretty much loaded rally (sunroof, 9 speaker stereo, nav, etc.) And the sticker was right around $24k... My price was $20k. So if you get employee pricing take roughly 15 - 20% off sticker price.

I got to drive the car too... A little sluggish out of the hole like a lot of people have said... But I do think its quicker off the line then my wife new civic, and it will blow the doors off her civic too end for sure. The interior is light years ahead of the civics plus the dart uses much better materials. Should be a fun little car overall.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
As an "entry level" car, I think it's respectable for it's design and performance. Although buyers looking to spend $24k on a car have plenty to choose from in terms of bigger and nicer vehicles.

As mentioned, the deceiving thing about these small displacement turbo economy cars, is that they won't get good gas mileage under boost. But drive it conservatively and boring, and it'll reward you with nice mpg. For example, depending how briskly or sedately I'm driving my GTI, I can get it as bad as 22mpg or 32 mpg.

Eh, it's another econobox just like the rest of them.. I can't think of one cheap new car that I'd rather drive more than just a old 80's beater and not have to make a car payment every month if it came down to it.

:werd:

To me the 2.4 is the logical choice. They shrunk the turbo engine too much and geared like that all in the name of gas mileage. I think the lower level engine solves a lot of the problems of its more expensive alternative.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Wife and I went to test drive a rallye last night night and I do have to say that it's one of the nicest econo cars I've been in. Driving was a bit different than anything I've ever driven. The clutch had little feel but was effortless and the gear rowing was easy as well. Driving normally, it moved just fine as if you were taking it easy around town. If you needed to get moving in a hurry, you'd need to jump down a gear or 2 and rev it up. Then you felt the boost kick in and it moved along well. Didn't feel like I was driving a car with tiny displacement. And as all have said, it's not a smooth power band. Kinda like first generation vtec. Also couldn't make it up a hill at wot in 2nd gear. Had to downshift into first to climb it up.

Only complaint was I only fit in height wise b/c of the sunroof... This was with the manual seats that could not adjust seat height. We're going to check out a Limited (where, I don't know) with power seats to see if they'll adjust down enough for me.

We also test drove a new Chrysler 200S right after and I could tell in one quick drive that the Dart drove better and had MUCH better interior parts/ergonomics. The Dart Platform just seemed so much more responsive and better engineered. I did like the 3.9 though but the throttle response seemed very slow but once it opened up and got going - it would get you from 40-70 in a big hurry. Oh, and a fully loaded 200s cost the same as a well equipped Dart Rallye.

I didn't get to play with the Uconnect Navi system but it looked nice :dunno:

Those are my scattered thoughts on my test drive!

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
After driving our Dart for a bit, the non-linear power delivery complaint has its truths. It can be a little annoying but manageable. You'll be cruising and trying to accelerate and at 2500 rpm it just takes off without further throttle movement.

Good thing is we are averaging 30.3 mpg around town and little highway use.

Found this :rofl: Think the ecu is pulling boost after 4k rpm?
attachment.php

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info