đź“° Auto News Ram 1500 poised to get diesel powerplant

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Poll anyone on the Autoblog staff and we'll tell you that a light-duty diesel pickup is a good idea. And while the refreshed 2013 Ram 1500 brings pickup-firsts like an eight-speed automatic and start/stop to the table, new reports state that diesel power might make it into the Chrysler Group's stalwart truck, as well.

According to Allpar.com, Chrysler has reportedly been building some one-off Ram 1500 test mules fitted with a 3.0-liter VM Motori V6 turbo-diesel, an engine that's currently found in the Jeep Grand Cherokee in other markets and will be available on our shores in the not-too-distant future. However, if a diesel Ram were to be offered in the States, it wouldn't be for a few more years.

PickupTrucks.com states that this 3.0-liter oil-burning engine could be tuned to produce in excess of 400 pound-feet of torque, and when used in conjunction with a truck platform, could provide up to 10,000 pounds of towing capacity. Even if a diesel-powered Ram is still a far-off prospect, consider our interest piqued.

We been needing a light duty diesel for a while now. The power and fuel economy would be stellar. I really dont understand why we havent gotten one. Ford could've been the first with minimal investment considering that Navistar had a 4.5 twin turbo V6 they could've borrowed just like the did the regular Powerstrokes for the longest time. Heres to hoping that they make them!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
PickupTrucks.com states that this 3.0-liter oil-burning engine could be tuned to produce in excess of 400 pound-feet of torque, and when used in conjunction with a truck platform, could provide up to 10,000 pounds of towing capacity. Even if a diesel-powered Ram is still a far-off prospect, consider our interest piqued.

WOAH! 400LBFT?!?!! Welcome to ecoboost! :D

The bad news is, its NOT a cummins, which is the only thing that ever made a dodge truck worth a damn. It's a good thought, but doubt it'll go far.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
WTF. Drop a 4BT into it like everyone else does. Ever go on a 4BT forum? They stick those little fuckers in EVERYTHING. Great motors, even in full size Suburbans the 4BTs are netting MPGs in the 30's. Good lord Chevy could sell a fuck ton of 'burbans if they had 30+ MPGs and still got good towing numbers.

Bottom line is, America needs to wake the fuck up about new diesel motors. Anything over 6,000 lbs should have a diesel moving it.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
The good news is this will force Chevy and Ford to compete. I know GM had the baby max that would be awesome. Also GM is reportedly working on an Eco-boost competitor. Either way I can't wait to see what the next gen of full size trucks brings because I will be in the market in about 3-4 years.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
GM has the baby max, ford has a V6 powerstroke that is used in their cab-over box trucks, and Cummins is currently developing a next generation I4 motor, which has talks of finding its say into the Nissan line of trucks. Dodge should scrape up the cummins motor, and the other automakers should use existing motors.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
WTF. Drop a 4BT into it like everyone else does. Ever go on a 4BT forum? They stick those little fuckers in EVERYTHING. Great motors, even in full size Suburbans the 4BTs are netting MPGs in the 30's. Good lord Chevy could sell a fuck ton of 'burbans if they had 30+ MPGs and still got good towing numbers.

Bottom line is, America needs to wake the fuck up about new diesel motors. Anything over 6,000 lbs should have a diesel moving it.

:pedobear: PERFECT!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info