đź“° Auto News Chrysler Records $473 Million 1st-Quarter Profit, Biggest Since 1998

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
not bad.

A year ago Chrysler reported its first, post-bankruptcy quarterly profit -- $116 million. A year later, the company has quadrupled that, bringing in a net income of $473 million. That's the biggest quarterly profit the automaker has recorded since... 1998. It made $682 million in the third quarter of that year.

The automaker sold 523,000 vehicles during the first quarter of 2012, a 33-percent increase from the first quarter of 2011. You can read the full press release here.

Another interesting bit of news is that Chrysler's performance in North America is helping to prop up Fiat, which had a first-quarter loss in Europe. Notably, Fiat wouldn't have been profitable without Chrysler.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Chrysler is making strides, but you don't go from making absolute shit one year, to top of the line stuff 2 years later. Don't get me wrong the 300 is a lot better, especially with the new V6, and 8-speed transmission. The Hemi is nice, but I still think it's a little too far behind the curve on efficiency. Dealers are still selling the Caliber, which means the whole company is automatically reduced to shit-level. The 200 is just a facelifted Sebring, and take it from someone who's driven a new Sebring, worst car I've ever driven, and I owned a PT Cruiser.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Just in terms of looks, features, interior build quality, etc they've come a long way. I had a Charger with the Pentastar V6 and the 10.4" in dash touch screen and it was an impressive car for what it was.

The new Cherokee, Durango, Dart... I think those are nice cars. I'm not a fan of the 300 any more though it's supposed to be a really nice car as well.

Actually I think the scourge on Chrysler's balance sheet is the Challenger. That car is an example of everything that's wrong with the retro movement. It's too tall and too narrow and they took the whole retro thing a little to far by making it drive like an old muscle car too.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The new 300, especially the SRT edition, is fucking sexy.

I LOOOOOOVED the original 300C but I can't stand the new car. The original was encroaching on becoming gaudy and just about anything you do to it makes it look bad but the new one... It's as if they took everything that could make the car look worse and tacked it on. Autozone LED lighting, check. Chrome strips, check.

LA has ruined me on the original version too. Every tool is rocking a Touring 300 with 22 inch rims, a Bentley Grill, LED strips and the works.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Or when you have the Government take care of all of your debt, screw over creditors, etc.

I was anti-bailout but in hindsight, it worked out. Haven't they re-paid the loan?

If the circumstances repeated themselves, I'd be anti-bailout all over again. I agree that the government has no right to pick and choose to gets to stay in business and who doesn't.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I was anti-bailout but in hindsight, it worked out. Haven't they re-paid the loan?

If the circumstances repeated themselves, I'd be anti-bailout all over again. I agree that the government has no right to pick and choose to gets to stay in business and who doesn't.

Neither GM or Chrysler have paid back their true debt (and likely never will).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info