Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
As Baby Boomers Reminisce, Ford Aims to Save Brand With European Look to Draw Younger Buyers

2012-Ford-Evos-Concept-024-450x335.jpg

Old Mustang Look Is Put Out to Pasture

BY MIKE RAMSEY
April 15, 2012, 7:13 p.m.

For the last decade, auto makers have connected with baby boomers by recreating storied cars from their youth like the VW Beetle, Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger.

Now, Ford Motor Co. is betting it is time to hit the brakes on the retro trend, and shift its focus to a younger generation.

The Mustang, the Pony car that launched affordable and compact sports cars, today strongly hews to the look of the 1964 original. But Ford is working on radical makeover of its signature youth-market car, people familiar with Ford's plans said. The new Mustang will retain the shark-nosed grille and round headlights, but will “look more like the new Ford Fusion than the current Mustang.”

“The new Mustang is due as a 2014 model, and will look somewhat like an Aston Martin, the high-price sports car often featured in James Bond movies. People who have seen the new Mustang said it is almost a body double for the Evos concept car that Ford showed at the Frankfurt auto show last fall.”

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Mook, the picture in your post (the Evos concept) is a cool looking car, but I wouldn't want the car carrying the Mustang name to look like that. What's wrong with the looks of the current car?

And the Probe analogy is a valid comparison. Not sure the public is going to embrace that car as a Mustang, but what do I know. :thinking:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
From the first post...

“The new Mustang is due as a 2014 model, and will look somewhat like an Aston Martin, the high-price sports car often featured in James Bond movies. People who have seen the new Mustang said it is almost a body double for the Evos concept car that Ford showed at the Frankfurt auto show last fall.”

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
And the Probe analogy is a valid comparison. Not sure the public is going to embrace that car as a Mustang, but what do I know. :thinking:

I think the FWD platform was what the people did not like of the concept that became the Probe. They wanted the Mustang to stay RWD. And it was a good thing it stayed that way.

I am confused...that pics link says it is a Ford Evo Concept. :dunno:

As a new concept, I think it looks cool. As a Mustang, I think it looks terrible.

It will be the same chassis as the concept. I bet the mustang will have a lot of the design features this concept has. Although I think it will have a harder look to it. I think going with the design the high end cars are using will either drive the price up to match the higher end looks. The Mustang is getting high in price for what a Mustang should be. I am all for them having a high end car to compete with some of the world models out there. But don't try and make the Mustang into that car.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yuck....This isn't a Mustang. I will have to check some sources on the internets as I don't believe this styling direction. I have heard that the new Mustang will lose weight which is good.

That is correct. The new chassis will be smaller and be designed with weight in mind. They are also talking with DuPont about bulf carbon fiber to use it in the new cars and trucks. So it will be interesting to see what actually gets these light weight materials and at what increase to the window sticker.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
I think the FWD platform was what the people did not like of the concept that became the Probe. They wanted the Mustang to stay RWD. And it was a good thing it stayed that way.
Yep, FWD was the primary driver to that attitude.

The Mustang is getting high in price for what a Mustang should be. I am all for them having a high end car to compete with some of the world models out there. But don't try and make the Mustang into that car.
What should a Mustang be priced at? You can get one for low $30's right?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info