Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
bigthreeceos_opta.jpg

It's taken two rounds of Congressional hearings, some major pride swallowing and three detailed business plans, but it looks as if the Detroit 3 will be getting the federal loans they need, though not as much they asked for. A deal was reportedly reached between Democratic leaders and the White House that will supply around $15 billion in federal loans to the struggling U.S. auto industry. While General Motors, Ford and Chrysler asked for a combined maximum of $34 billion, the $15 billion is designed to ensure they stay alive until March when the issue will be readdressed with the input of a fresh Obama administration. GM and Chrysler reportedly need around $11 billion to survive the new year, while Ford has said it would only need government aid if one of the other two went under.

We're hearing that a deal was reached between Democrats and the Bush administration late Friday after top Dem. Nancy Pelosi gave in to the White House and its position that the money should come from $25 billion in loans previously approved to help the automakers retool for energy fuel efficient vehicles, rather than drawing the aid from the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Fund for struggling financial institutions. In return, Pelosi is seeking a guarantee that the money would be replenished in "a matter of weeks."

Both the Senate and House of Representatives have confirmed they will be meeting on Tuesday to vote on the deal, and it's expected that strong oversight of how the loans are used, whether in the form of an individual car czar or committee, will be part of the final package.

Party on, Detroit.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
actually banks have an ungodly amount of excess reserves, the most in history times eleventy. and their have been open billion dollar loans/lines of credit before by banks. the fact is nobody wants to lend GM money because THEY ARE A FAILING BUSINESS!!!

Since you seem to know everything about the economy and business, Why aren't you loaded with enough $$ for like 100 cars and a warehouse to keep them in? I mean, anytime someone posts a comment about anything related to the economy or politics, you come in with these answers that don't make sense. If banks have the most reserves in history, why are we bailing them out?

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i don't know everything, but i'm doing my best to figure out a way to make $ through this crap. my answers make perfect sense. yours do not. your answer to a failing business that can't pay back any of its creditors is to loan it even more money. taxpayer money. until 12 months from now when they come begging with their tin cup again for more money. what they should do is file bankruptcy.

banks are insolvent. they have more liabilities than they have assets. they are being bailed out so their isn't mass panic and this place starts looking a lot more like iceland. honestly i'd like to see them all fail and us rebuild the entire money system but that's a pretty big shock to the system and not a very popular opinion.

ADJRES_Max_630_378.png

here are bank reserves from the st louis fed. see the 2 "spikes" in 1999 and 2001? those were for the y2k scare and for 9/11 when there was much fear and financial slowdown/recession. those were very large injections of money. note now that the entire history of this graph is practically a straight line now due to the current situation.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
no problem i get heated myself :p the CEO and CFO are not really gonna get screwed anyway. end of the day they are still stupid rich. and which mess? the whole economy now or just GM? i'd blame the economy on the gov thinking it can control the economy, and the most amount of blame on the federal reserve. greedy banks and greedy borrowers after that. for GM, yes they have a bunch of poor management. but these unions do not allow them to be competitive either. screwing people like us occurs when they do have these bailouts - because we are where the gov gets the money. they either borrow it, for you and future generations of americans to pay back, or they just create the money, and essential just take it from you through inflation. as far as loans and the government getting all this money back, and with interest, and with that interest being greater than inflation, i will put the likelihood at almost absolute zero.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm wondering what stipulations the mini-loan will carry for the automakers to ensure reorganization, if any. Otherwise it's just pissing away 15 billion if they don't do anything until then. Not that the bigger loan wouldn't be pissing away the money, but at least there was hope with reorganization and possible merger of Chrysler and GM.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
I'm wondering what stipulations the mini-loan will carry for the automakers to ensure reorganization, if any. Otherwise it's just pissing away 15 billion if they don't do anything until then. Not that the bigger loan wouldn't be pissing away the money, but at least there was hope with reorganization and possible merger of Chrysler and GM.

Isn't a committee being formed to oversee that the money is being used properly? And that they might get extra loan money, if needed, some time around march?

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
no problem i get heated myself :p the CEO and CFO are not really gonna get screwed anyway. end of the day they are still stupid rich. and which mess? the whole economy now or just GM? i'd blame the economy on the gov thinking it can control the economy, and the most amount of blame on the federal reserve. greedy banks and greedy borrowers after that. for GM, yes they have a bunch of poor management. but these unions do not allow them to be competitive either. screwing people like us occurs when they do have these bailouts - because we are where the gov gets the money. they either borrow it, for you and future generations of americans to pay back, or they just create the money, and essential just take it from you through inflation. as far as loans and the government getting all this money back, and with interest, and with that interest being greater than inflation, i will put the likelihood at almost absolute zero.

Don't the unfair trade agreements hurt GM, and well the rest of us two, I mean china has been selling to us for years, and only recently have we been able to sell stuff over there........

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Isn't a committee being formed to oversee that the money is being used properly? And that they might get extra loan money, if needed, some time around march?

Yeah, that's what I've read, too, but I'm just wondering if because of the smaller loan they won't be as aggressive with the cutbacks and restructuring.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info