Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Earlier this week we published a Battle Royale between General Motors and Chrysler in order to determine in a fun way which vehicles from each automaker that compete directly in the marketplace would survive if the two merged. Out of 12 matchups, GM vehicles won eight and Chrysler four. A new report by consulting firm Grant Thornton LLP largely confirms that our experiment was spot on. The report says that if a GM/Chrysler merger happens, only the Dodge Ram, Chrysler and Dodge minivans and a few Jeep models will survive. We had the Ram and Wrangler as survivors on our list, though perhaps we were too generous giving the dated Dodge Dakota and slow-selling Jeep Patriot stays of execution. Either way, the point is that Chrysler's model lineup across all three brands would largely be wiped out if a merger with GM happens, as well as the plants that build those models and the workers who do the building.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
So they would be getting rid of all the LX platform cars? That seems really stupid as they seem to be doing really well with those. The caliber doesn't really strike my fancy, axe that shit, but I think overall that would be a shit deal. I like Chrysler vehicles, and I really hope chrysler sticks around for a long time.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I'm waiting for Unclarry to maybe chime in.....he and his family have and have had quite a few chrysler products...my family is on our first....my parents have a magnum....it's not too bad considering it's pretty much an old e-class mercedes chassis on a chrysler body and interior. If anything I think that chrysler was making more interesting cars than either ford or chevy like 3 or 4 years ago, now they have kind of fallen a little.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
I'm waiting for Unclarry to maybe chime in.....he and his family have and have had quite a few chrysler products...my family is on our first....my parents have a magnum....it's not too bad considering it's pretty much an old e-class mercedes chassis on a chrysler body and interior. If anything I think that chrysler was making more interesting cars than either ford or chevy like 3 or 4 years ago, now they have kind of fallen a little.

You don't need to drag me into this stuff, i'm capable of coming in on my own.

Anyways, I like some chrylser products. LX cars are sweet only if you get the hemis, the V6s are competitive. PTs served their purpose but have not been redesigned. The vans we had worked like they should, but i was young and didn't pay attention to that stuff then.

Chrysler has been going strong, going under, going strong, going under since the 70s. This time they wont be able to pull it off. I'm sad to see them leave, but i wont shed a tear.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
It's not just about loosing a bunch of crappy cars. This is going to affect a lot of workers, which sucks. Although Chrysler employees should have seen this coming for a long time, some of these towns that build such cars are going to be in bad shape when the majority of it's population are unemployed.

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
It's not just about loosing a bunch of crappy cars. This is going to affect a lot of workers, which sucks. Although Chrysler employees should have seen this coming for a long time, some of these towns that build such cars are going to be in bad shape when the majority of it's population are unemployed.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best. Thats how that saying goes, right?

GM is trying to save itself by eliminating a major market competitor. Sure there are lots of jobs that are going to be lost, but what if Chrysler and GM went under down the line? Then there would be a lot more people in the shit than if just Chrysler went away.

Once again i don't like to see people lose their jobs, or have their town going into poverty. Thanks to the stupidity of executives the world over we find that the little guy pays the brunt of it.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
UAW has been driving the American automakers out of business since the 70s. The potential loss of these jobs is as much their own fault as anyone. UAW workers are underworked and overpaid, and it's now going to bite them in the ass. I don't have much sympathy for them losing their jobs.

Max

I'm Just Here For The Gasoline...
May 24, 2007
The Wastelands
my dad had several Ram vans, never really any problem with them...

Trucks on the other hand....god the trannys sucks...

My mom's Jeep Commander will hit the 5k on the tac and sit there after resuming cruise...and the dealer says the car is working fine...they also said it was fine then wont shift out of first gear...took it to the Zone, TCM malfunction and something else tranny related...took it back to dealer they say :dunno:

I had a 96 intrepid...i might have beaten it into the ground and may have been airborne more than once...but it held up for 3 years and ended its life with a massive oil leak by the heads...the 3.3 was diecent imo...But i drove the dealer's 3.5 loaner....PoS

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info