đź“° Auto News Ford MYKey Limits Teenage Drivers

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007890.html

Ford has made parenting a little easier by introducing MyKey, a programmable ignition key for Ford automobiles that monitors teenage driving behavior. With MyKey in place, various driving habits that parents may consider unsafe, or merely obnoxious, can be curtailed.

It covers all the common parental complaints: The car's speed cannot exceed 80mph. Radio volume is limited to 44 percent of maximum and, if seatbelts aren't fastened, no sound will come from the speakers at all. Extra-careful and/or paranoid parents can place warning sounds at 45, 55, and 65mph, blasting a warning of potential reckless driving to the youthful driver.

Ford realizes this is annoying. Susan Cischke, Ford's group vice president of sustainability, environment and safety engineering even said she hoped to "turn up the annoyance factor a little bit."

MyKey will be introduced as a free standard feature in the 2010 Ford Focus model. Ford hopes to make MyKey a standard feature on all Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury models thereafter.

MyKey is built on ID chips already used in keys to help deter car theft, and evolved through changing software. MyKey tracks only the distance traveled by the car, so while it may seem relatively harmless now, parents who want other features to loom over their children -- such as point-by-point GPS tracking -- may be able to add them on for a fee.

Naturally, teenagers didn't warm up to the idea. After initial testing, 67 percent of teens said they wouldn't want MyKey. The number dropped to 36 percent if greater driving privileges were granted. But they aren't the ones buying the cars . . .

Traffic accidents remain the leading cause of death among teenagers, and Ford has this statistic in mind. I'm uncertain whether a few beeping noises and a speeding cap will make a difference in the long-run, but it's a noble cause.

Ford-MyKey-Parental-Control.jpg

Ford-MyKey.jpg

Kinda interesting and i have to say its not a bad idea

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
i saw this on the news last night. I guess you can say its a good idea if you want to limit speed or control the radio while moving. But you still cant stop little johnny or susie from talking and texting away while driving no matter what key goes in the ignition.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
i saw this on the news last night. I guess you can say its a good idea if you want to limit speed or control the radio while moving. But you still cant stop little johnny or susie from talking and texting away while driving no matter what key goes in the ignition.

:werd:

texting is the worst. they dont pay attention and bam GG

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Raise the driving age to 18, and ban phone usage in cars besides hands free. Next time someone nearly rear ends you, is driving 10mph under the speed limit, drifting across the lane lines in the middle of the day, or any other idiotic shit, chances are its a new driver or someone on their phone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info