Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
When Nissan launched the 350Z in '02, it was working hard to reinvent itself and the new Z was clearly its halo car in the U.S. market. Now that that the revival has come and gone, expect the new 370Z to take on a new tack as a harder edged vehicle. In fact, Nissan plans to take on Porsche, the most classic of all sportscar manufacturers, with its newest coupe. Equipped with a larger 335-hp 3.7-liter V6 engine and having gone on a serious diet, possibly shedding as much as 200 lbs, the new Z will definitely have the cojones to keep up with its foes, including the Cayman, and its shorter wheelbase and wider track should conspire to make it quite the handler as well. We'll get our first official look at the new son-of-Godzilla at the LA Auto Show, shorty after which the Nissan 370Z should show up in Japanese dealerships with U.S. delivery at a later date. Hopefully, not too much later.

400px-Logo-autoblog-com.gif

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
nice, but since i won't be able to afford a gtr, wouldn't a Z fit that niche between altima coupe and gtr? So by the sounds of it, the price tag will probably go up as well... who knows and then what nissan product will fill that performance gap that I could afford?

hmmmm

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Sour grapes or legitimate complaint? That's the question we're left pondering after reading that Porsche believes Nissan must have cheated to record its 7:29:03 lap time of the famed NĂĽrburgring race circuit. Porsche claims that it had been suspicious of the Nissan's lap times, so it acquired a U.S.-spec GT-R for testing back-to-back with its own 911 Turbo and GT2. The result? The mighty Godzilla was toppled by the Teutonic German duo, with the GT-R posting times a good 25-seconds slower than Nissan's claim.

How can Porsche explain the discrepancy? "This wonder car with 7:29 could not have been a regular series production car. For us, it's not clear how this time is possible. What we can imagine with this Nissan is they used other tires," says August Achleitner, the man in charge of the 911 program. There is footage of the GT-R lapping the 'Ring at high speed, but it's taken from inside the car where the tires cannot be seen.

Considering the fact that Nissan saw fit to issue a press release commemorating the car's fast-lap, we doubt this is something that will be taken lightly. There's a big can 'o worms here, and Porsche's in the corner holding the opener.

info

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
let me re-phrase... im sure if walter rorhl drove the GTR it would get a better time than porsche's current time, but it could not possibly make up 24 seconds.... that is an impossible figure to recover

I agree.

Also, if the claim is false and nissans times are legit, then that puts Porsche in a come from behind situation. Either way i hope Porsche is cooking some nasty up to better drive the competition. Maybe Porsche got too comfortable and this is the kick in the pants to start an epic war that we all will benefit from.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info