3800 Rusty rocker panels

Have any of you guys ever had to have your rocker panels repaired because of rust? My rust is starting to get worse and worse and I want to see if it is possible to get rid of it for pretty cheap before my car looks like total shit. I can't even put the thing on jacks anymore cause it just bends the welds or just goes straight through:picard:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Have any of you guys ever had to have your rocker panels repaired because of rust? My rust is starting to get worse and worse and I want to see if it is possible to get rid of it for pretty cheap before my car looks like total shit. I can't even put the thing on jacks anymore cause it just bends the welds or just goes straight through:picard:

:eek3: wow really?

Yeah really. It honestly sucks. I have had a jack stand go through before, but mostly the welds just get all bent up and it looks like shit. I'm going to put some of that truck undercoating on it before winter to slow it down, but I don't know how much it will help. It's already started to go up to near the door sills on one side too. You can't notice it from the outside yet, but I really don't want it to come to that point.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
hmm, it might be to far now that it's effected the pinch weld, maybe get a rolling chassis and swap them? Accidentally dropping some more mods on your motor while its out wouldn't hurt....? Idk maybe find a high mileage se or gt, something cheap with a nice body and swap em'? Just throwing that out there... It can't be that hard can it?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
If they are that bad already I dont think you are going to slow it down. The rockers are going to need to be cut out and replaced. Under you gas door is probably ready to rust through, your rear strut towers have rust on them and the lip on the rear quarter panel. I see older gp's all the time where the rockers are almost completly gone.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
KJ, you will not need to pull the sike skirts off. The rust starts at the pinch weld and works its way up so if you are curious just stick your head under the car.

ah then im fine. there isnt a speck on the pinch welds... i do want to see the inside of the side skirts tho just to make sure everything is copastetic.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson

Its up to you, you could take them off and clean the dirt and shit that has built up behind them and check out the parts of the rocker that you cant see if it makes you feel better. I am just saying that if the pinch weld is not rusty then you car probably cool and that cleaning the two sided tape off will take forever and make your thumbs hurt. Where the rocker moulding attaches to the quarter panel, its a strip of thick two sided tape the whole way.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
the GT had a hole in the pass side rocker and the driver side was not to far away, heavy rust in the rear strut towers and a leaky trunk:eek3:

The trunk was my fault since I could not get the spoiler to seal right no matter what I did. The rocker panels are really odd though. I washed that bitch whenever I could. :dunno:

Surprisingly my drivers side isn't rusted at all towards the rear, but the passenger side is completely rotting out all the way back. You can even see it by the door sills when the door is open :tear: I had so many plans for this car but I think I'm just going to leave it the way it is and save my money cause it's not worth it. It's killing me knowing that probably within the next year it is going to start to show on the outside.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info