3800 My first problem

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Car died on me on the way to work. I was sitting in the turning lane on Arlington Heights to turn onto 83 listening to the new Metallica. The car then just dies. I didnt want to get out and pop the hood cause all I saw in my head was someone slamming into my car. So I figured it would be safer to stay in it and call for a tow/cops.

The cops came and finally pushed me off the road. Called a tow truck place we use at work and had them bring me and my car here. $95 and an hour and a half work late to work I am finally here.

Alright, so my first assumtion is the fuel pump resistor. The car will crank and wants to turn over, it just doesnt pull through though. Twice I got the car chugging at a whole 200 RPMs then it died off again even with me on the throttle. The car was not running funny at all until this happened.

Anyone concur with me?? Any other suggestions?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
When this happened to me it was the pump resistor. Died with no notice and would crank a long time then start, but I could only rev it once and it would chug out and die. If you have a paper clip you may be able to limp it home. On the Grand Prixs, there's a connector behind the passenger side headlight that you can jump with a paperclip to get the car running. well, if the pump resitor is the problem. I don't remember the exact connector so I wouldn't go jumping every connector you find, but it may be worth a try if you can find exact instructions at clubgp or wherever. I limped the car home with the paper clip.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
When this happened to me it was the pump resistor. Died with no notice and would crank a long time then start, but I could only rev it once and it would chug out and die. If you have a paper clip you may be able to limp it home. On the Grand Prixs, there's a connector behind the passenger side headlight that you can jump with a paperclip to get the car running. well, if the pump resitor is the problem. I don't remember the exact connector so I wouldn't go jumping every connector you find, but it may be worth a try if you can find exact instructions at clubgp or wherever. I limped the car home with the paper clip.

That was my theory as well. There is also the trick where you bend the tab on a fuse to make the pump run in high mode only which will limp the car around as well. I just need it to last this week and I can spend all next week messing with it since I am off.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Found it.

relays.jpg

Ill be trying this first. Hopfully it will be just this and I can limp along until I get the resistor and replace it next week. MPG might suck for awhile, but ohh well.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Found it.

relays.jpg

Ill be trying this first. Hopfully it will be just this and I can limp along until I get the resistor and replace it next week. MPG might suck for awhile, but ohh well.

my car has been running with that tab bent out for almost 3 years:dunno: works fine fore me. :bigthumb: 32mpg highway for a very mildly modded car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info