3800 went to rt 66 again last night

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
quite a few nice cars.
a cobalt with quite a few mods ran 15.5'-14.4s with low traps:dunno:
a c6 zo6 with a shitty launch letting out and getting back into a few times ran 11.8 at 122.
paxton viper ran 11.08 at 132. was the first time at a track
Hahn racecraft sunfire ran 11.4s iirc. looked sic for a sunfire.

I went with mike(12.99someday) to try and get a couple runs in off spray.
First pass with 30psi in the slicks, Heat soaked(just pulled in), a shitty launch and a little knock through most of the run
13.7@104 2.2 60'
We Knew there was a problem and went over a few things. checked the alky pump and it would run but not flow a drop. Thinking the pump was shot and not having a smaller pulley with us we just about gave up. I was thinking maybe the check valve was clogged and removed it and sure enough it was clogged.
Cleaned it out and boom worked perfect.
Let the car cool for a while and got back in line
we lowered the pressure to around 22 psi and got a decent burnout in
12.9 @103 1.87 60'.....ran perfect in first and second. 6* of knock in third gear up but mike was shifting a higher then normal and the car ran rich as balls
we let the car cool down again and adjusted the fuel some. got back in line
Some one hit the wall and we waited a long time for another pass.
Got a better burnout launched harder
12.8@103 1.81 60' 3rd gear knock again less this time but still there.11.0-11.2AFR on the wideband so still rich as hell. Adjusted the fuel again but they didnt allow any one else to run because the track temps dropped real quick after 6 and the top end started be real scary for alot of cars after 9pm.

Scanned on the way back to the shop and it ran quite a bit better but needs the fuel and timing adjusted more. only a few test and tunes left so maybe it will run again before TCG race day

by the way the car weighs 3400 pounds with no driver and the front seat and back seat removed. the spare tire wasnt in but the 10lb nitrous bottle was there so it kinda equaled out. nothing in the rear end to help with squating.

not record setting times for the setup but it shows us that even with quite a few issues its a solid 12sec car off spray. im thinking 12.50s are not out of the question. The nitrous seems to be knocking about a full second of his times so hopefully he will get his goal.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
yeah the sunfire was a full drag car. slicks,skinnies, gutted. pretty sure it had a cage but i never got that close to it except once when it caught my eye.
my guess would be a turbo ecotec.
The guy with the viper had a low 11 sec 03 cobra and he said it felt way faster in every way except the very top end.
i guess thats that only place the car makes real power. makes sense seeing as its a csc. He had 1.9 60'

Last edited:

highpsi

Regular
Jun 24, 2008
yeah the sunfire was a full drag car. slicks,skinnies, gutted. pretty sure it had a cage but i never got that close to it except once when it caught my eye.
my guess would be a turbo ecotec.
The guy with the viper had a low 11 sec 03 cobra and he said it felt way faster in every way except the very top end.
i guess thats that only place the car makes real power. makes sense seeing as its a csc. He had 1.9 60'
Sounds like Lyle's Viper. He's more a highway run guy than a 1/4 mile guy, I guess he was just curious what it would run. His Cobra made 714 rwhp before he sold it (never ran it at that power level though) and the Viper makes considerably more power.

I assume the Z06 was black. He was also an ex-Terminator owner. Surprised to hear he didn't run a little faster (guy with a mohawk right?)

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
She's got a lot more in her off the bottle, definitely needed some fuel adjustments. Makes me wonder what its capable off on bottle with an actual tune instead of throwing fuel at it. I never get knock so it was really weird that it was knocking in the first place, :dunno: really pissed me off especially with only being able to run 3 times. Usually I get way more runs but this time they said the track was to cold.... (maybe for race cars?) so they kicked us out. I really like running the car off the bottle so i might be going again soon enough and dial my tune in before i get to the track this time. I stopped at a gas station on the way home and pulled 2* of timing, and some more fuel out of it and got a 12.0:1 reading at wot and 22* of timing. Did a 0-130mph pull and guess what.... No knock... stupid ass car, it felt soooo strong to. Owell, I'll just have to try again next time. I'm sure it's capable of around 106 traps off the bottle :dunno:

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
Sounds like Lyle's Viper. He's more a highway run guy than a 1/4 mile guy, I guess he was just curious what it would run. His Cobra made 714 rwhp before he sold it (never ran it at that power level though) and the Viper makes considerably more power.

I assume the Z06 was black. He was also an ex-Terminator owner. Surprised to hear he didn't run a little faster (guy with a mohawk right?)

Yes it was Adams Z06. Its stock down to the runflats. Hes still learning to launch it. First time we have been to the track with these cars.

I was curious what it would run, yes, and I do like the highway. Was actually hoping to get a couple runs in taking it easy getting a feel for it on the 1/4 track and then get an easy 10.............Heres a link to my post on VA.

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/68724-took-gts-track-today.html

Who had the GranPrix that was running 11.8s without getting traction?

highpsi

Regular
Jun 24, 2008
Yes it was Adams Z06. Its stock down to the runflats. Hes still learning to launch it. First time we have been to the track with these cars.

I was curious what it would run, yes, and I do like the highway. Was actually hoping to get a couple runs in taking it easy getting a feel for it on the 1/4 track and then get an easy 10.............Heres a link to my post on VA.

http://www.viperalley.com/forum/viper-discussions-gen-i/68724-took-gts-track-today.html

Who had the GranPrix that was running 11.8s without getting traction?
Good to see ya dusting off your 1/4 mile cobwebs Lyle. A bunch of your Cobra buddies will be at Byron Sunday if you and Adam are interested in getting in a little more practice.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Intake, rockers, headers, 3.2 pulley, that's pretty much it besides supporting stuff like plugs, wires, ect. It even has the stock cat back. The 103 traps were due to the random knock in 3rd gear, it should trap higher than that. It pulled like a monster to the 1/8 and fell on its face, didn't have enough time to get it sorted out.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Intake, rockers, headers, 3.2 pulley, that's pretty much it besides supporting stuff like plugs, wires, ect. It even has the stock cat back. The 103 traps were due to the random knock in 3rd gear, it should trap higher than that. It pulled like a monster to the 1/8 and fell on its face, didn't have enough time to get it sorted out.

Don't u have E85 and alky also...

Wow, 11psi? That's uber low, they looked like they were flat at 20 lol. How much does that kill your trap speeds? I'm not used to slicks definitely first time using them, so i can use all the tips i can get.

well you would need tubes to run that low of a psi. not shure what kind of wheel setup you/stinkstar have. i had a prostar with MT ET Streets tubed and screwed and my car was hookin up best at around 11-14psi depending on weather. i was launchin at 6k and almost dead hooking. car trapped where it should be trapping for my times. my cars only 3200 with me in it too.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Don't u have E85 and alky also...

Honestly the E85 isn't doing that much without an i/c. It responds best to higher boost, or high compression I'm at maybe 11psi give or take. I maybe gained 10hp over 93 with it, and when the alky wasn't working i trapped a higher speed. I have to get the thing on a dyno to find out what works and what doesn't. I have no idea what the alky is doing if anything at all. It needs a real tune where i can concentrate on what's going on instead of guessing when I'm on the street, while at the same time watching out for cops. A dyno or a test and tune day that i can get 10-15 passes would work.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
well you would need tubes to run that low of a psi. not shure what kind of wheel setup you/stinkstar have. i had a prostar with MT ET Streets tubed and screwed and my car was hookin up best at around 11-14psi depending on weather. i was launchin at 6k and almost dead hooking. car trapped where it should be trapping for my times. my cars only 3200 with me in it too.

Mine arent tubed and Im running about 12 in them.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
12.8@103 1.81 60' 3rd gear knock again less this time but still there.11.0-11.2AFR on the wideband so still rich as hell.

On a forced induction car, 11:1 isn't rich as hell, it's actually halfway decent. Ideally you'd want to be between 11.5-12.0 if it's a tune that is used on the street. If it's strictly a track tune you can bump it up near 12.5:1 but you're pushing it. "Rich as hell" would be 10.x and below.

Also, rich conditions don't cause knock. Maybe a miss, but definitely not knock. If you're knocking it's due to a lean condition or too much timing.

Altiery54

TCG Elite Member
Jun 14, 2007
Braidwood
On a forced induction car, 11:1 isn't rich as hell, it's actually halfway decent. Ideally you'd want to be between 11.5-12.0 if it's a tune that is used on the street. If it's strictly a track tune you can bump it up near 12.5:1 but you're pushing it. "Rich as hell" would be 10.x and below.

Also, rich conditions don't cause knock. Maybe a miss, but definitely not knock. If you're knocking it's due to a lean condition or too much timing.

very well said:)

btw i'm the 1 with the cobalt that ran a 14.0, 14.4 and 15.xx never cut below a 2.5 60 ft time and missed 2nd gear everytime. driver mod was ftl last night. i've been 13.7@104 with a 2.3 60 ft and 14.1@106 w/ a 2.5 60 ft. but i'm rolling on bald ass oem pirellis. i have some 255/60/16 MT ET Street Radials in store 4 cordova however so hopefully it'll touch 12's with that and a 2.7" and re-tune 4 a stronger mix of meth 4 more timing

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info