Weird noise coming from engine bay.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
As odd as it sounds, it sounds like someone putting a plastic drinking glass, open end down on a counter.. don't know how to describe it other than that. Only happens when the car is idle.

Happens at the following seconds in this video, gotta turn up your speakers.

0:02, 0:03, 0:07, 0:10, 0:14, 0:15, 0:18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct-HwAGCE24

:rollpicard:

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Really hard to tell from that video...... Some ideas for you:

Backfires out the exhaust. These can make strange noises as depending on your exhaust setup.

Failing evap. solinoid. Now that it is in the 60's outside, it should be cycling..... It is on the front of the manifold... Unplug it to see if the sound goes away.

If you have a way of posting a better video, maybe with the hood open to unmuffle any sounds. Try to listen and narrow down an area. Of the engine/engine bay

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Really hard to tell from that video...... Some ideas for you:

Backfires out the exhaust. These can make strange noises as depending on your exhaust setup.

Failing evap. solinoid. Now that it is in the 60's outside, it should be cycling..... It is on the front of the manifold... Unplug it to see if the sound goes away.

If you have a way of posting a better video, maybe with the hood open to unmuffle any sounds. Try to listen and narrow down an area. Of the engine/engine bay
The sound is coming from near the manifold area, nearer towards the firewall when the hood is open.

Exhaust is stock manifolds into a 3" ZZP Downpipe with Magnaflow cat to a stock cat back with the exception of a Magnaflow resonator.

Isn't the evap solenoid vacuum controlled? If so, a piece of vacuum hose broke yesterday while I was cleaning the engine compartment and that could easily explain why this just started happening I think.. Here's how it looks now.

2012-03-07211924.jpg

It broke and I reinserted the shorter piece anyways, but if you think that could fix it I'll run over to the JY and grab a length of the stuff tomorrow along with the new rubber piece.

Take the shotgun to it already.
You wonder why I say some straight up nasty shit to you , a la your signature.. this bull shit is why. Instead of continually running your mouth to me maybe you could be helpful. If I could afford a new car, I'd end up with something else. I can't, so I need to fix what I have. Grow up.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Well, the car runs smoother now and has a few better MPG but the noise still exists.

Prodded around a bit with a screwdriver like a stethoscope, the alternator seems to be the culprit.. back side bearings are starting to make noise.

Either way, free lifetime warranty on the part from Auto Zone. Looks like that's my project tomorrow :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info