zzp 1.9 rocker arms

monte2003ss

Dec 24, 2011
i installed them last week couldnt install one becuse when i touqed it down the lifter wouldnt pump oil to the rocker so i installed a stock rocker back on it then put it all back togeather becuse i didnt have time to replace the lifters.. well today after 250 miles i changed the oil went to start it and all the lifters sounded dry till they pumped up with oil
to me this is not right as i never had this problem before the zzp 1.9 rockers

i used the Comp Cams rocker bolts tourqued to 23

so my queston is will new lifters fix the dry start problem are should i reinstall the old rocker arms that i had no problems with at all ..
if the lifters will fix it has anyone used Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Lifters sold by zzp .

this is on a 2003 monte with 3.8 n/a

monte2003ss

Dec 24, 2011
going to pull the vavle cover off and try changing out the pedistal i know the push rods will rubb on the factory one but its for test only to see if i can touque it and get oil flow if it dosnt fix it i am going to return the 1.9 zzp rockers . maby the heads wear milled down some time in the engines life who knows ..

monte2003ss

Dec 24, 2011
ok i tryed the stock pedistal wont work :) push rods hit the pedistal
so then i tryed stock rocker arm bolt
same problem no oil.
so one last thing to try was to try switching push rods
so i pulled all the push rods out and found the one that was not pumping oil looked newer then the rest so i lined them all up and pick the shortedst one and put that with the rocker that wasnt pumping oil and yes it pumped oil
looks like the push rod was slightly longer and wold not work with that lifter for what ever reason so now they all are working as should... makes no sence becuse i didnt pull out push rods when i put new rockers on ..........
yes there is slight tapping noise i can live with that :)
i just want to say
thank you to every one for there help

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
are you running the motor with the VC'ers off checking for oil flow or are you looking for oil to flow as the plunger gets compressed?

oilflow through the pushrod is controlled by the metering disc which only liftsto allow flow as the lifter/valve closes towards the lobe base circle, so the only way to know for sure that you have oil flow is running without the valvecovers or pulling them imediatly after running for 2-5 minutes

the only reason you saw "oilflow" was cause you left the pushrods in and hey probabl didnt completly drain where the one may have drained out, the inside of the pushrod holds a pretty good amount of oil...enough that emptying the whole lifter plunger bore/valve into would probably be just barely enough to fill it up.

pushrods have uper and lower wear patterns, the bottom with have a polished ring from the lifter cup and the top will often have striations from the arc of travel of the rocker cup, do not flip em upside down as this will not let the bottom seal..if your worried about how worn some of the upper ends an become then buy a new set of oem
all 3800 pushrods are the same length (when new, worn one's can vary quite a bit) except for the SI motors which are 1 inch longer

that said lifter accumulate quite a bit of soot/carbon over the lives that can settle onto the checkball and oil metering disc, if they are in good shape its ot a bad idea to pull em apart and clean em out with solvent and blow em dry to ressemble.

its also a good idea to point the oil inlet hole towards the pass side for bank two rear) and the drivers side for bank 1 (front bank) as thats where the oil flow comes from as it travels down the bank2 alley through the rear cover towards the front galley

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info