ABS wiring.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Been having a problem with my car for a long while now. Had two breaks in the ABS/TCS harness that goes along the subframe to the right front wheel speed sensor. Replaced the section of wire twice now, both times doing a neat job of soldering/shrinking/re-looming the wire. Both times, it has not fixed my issue. Scan tools are saying "Right front wheel speed sensor open/short" - is this a replacable harness? What can I do to fix this? I erase the code and as soon as the car moves an inch, it sets both lights.

Any help appreciated.. TIA.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
the entire harness is not replaceable per-se, but you have already done it correctly by cutting and properly splicing it. check the harness where it routes near the transmission (i know youve had some trans work done) for chafing as its a known issue. also, did you ohm the wheel speed sensor itself? it should be around 1K ohms.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I will pop a volt meter on it tomorrow and have a look-see. I inspected the entire harness side to side, everything else is fine.. no cuts / tears / breaks.

This originally happened due to a mechanic who left my inner fender liners (between subframe/unibody) off the car and the wire would float just enough going over puddles and in the rain and whatnot to gently rub against the belt. When it rained, it'd set the code if I went through a puddle and it shorted.

Fixed that section earlier, got new clips (control arm and subframe clips) and made sure it was back to how it'd be from the factory. That's when I looked everything over the first time. Between then and now (somehow) the connector on the wiring that clips into the wheel bearing speed sensor itself (male end on the car side) was all fucked up. Fixed that, went to two different shops and had friends clear the code with snap-on solus pro scanners and it came back the second the car moved.

There's literally no way to replace it? I have access to several clean Impalas in different yards up here and it'd be awesome if I can just disconnect it and re-run the cable.. unless it's spidered into the main harness, that'd be fulla do not want.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
There was two wires, I remember one of them was green.. one of the wires seemed to resist the solder, it took a good 3 minutes to get it to finally stick. The other one seemed to do totally awesome at hanging on. The solder just seemed to drop off the other one. Do you think maybe it blew a fuse???

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
a regular auto parts store can not scan those codes, correct?
I've replaced 3 out of 4 of my bearings in the past month and the damned light is still on and im fairly sure its not that fourth bearing. I really would like to fix the idiot light, but i dont want to put that much effort into it, lol. I need to get it scanned some how.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I had corrosion inside the wheel speed connector on my car and it would set off the code. I bought a new replacement plug and pigtail from the parts store for like $20

This fixes it 9/10 times. Not only for corrosion inside the connector but also for internally broken wires and what not where the wire bends with the suspension.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info