Car won't start

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
My car won't start at all. I can hear the fuel pump working and the starter is cranking fine, but the engine just won't turn over. It was driving fine last night, came home, shut it off, now today it won't turn over. The only issue it's been having lately is with the idle, doubt it's related but when it first start the car it's sits at like 2500 Rpms until it warms up, then if I restart the car after it hits base temp it's fine. Car always started fine though and it was driving good. It's not making any odd noises when I Ty to start it, it's just cranking and cranking and it won't turn over. Thoughts?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
relays.jpg

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Yeah on the gauges.

Oh ok, no no lights. Was driving ok night before minus the initial idle issue, no cel, no security lights, went out in the morning and it wouldn't start. Hit remote start, the remote told me the car failed to start, go outside and crank it with the key and nothing. Tried it again when I got home from work, still nothing. First time after work it sounded like it almost caught but died instantly.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
You can pop a plug wire off and either put a plug in it or a screw driver in it. You'll either have to put the plug on something metal to look for spark the spark or you'll have to arc the screwdriver off something metal.

You could do it right off a coil. That'll be easiest.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Check for spark.

To me it sounds like it might have flooded and then subsequently fouled the plugs. What you can do is try to crank it normal for 2 - 3 seconds and then put the gas pedal to the floor and try cranking it while holding the pedal down. Let it work the excess fuel out of the cylinders and it should catch if that's the problem. As you hear it starting to catch, let off the gas pedal to turn the injectors back on.

If you were having idle problems you could be dealing with a vacuum leak which could cause starting issues.

Mike that flooding issue sounds like it could be right on. I tried it this morning on my way to work just for shits and it actually turned over, but now there's a low coolant light on and the idle sounds really wierd.

Probably a good idea to change your plugs and figure out what cause it to flood in the first place (weak coils, wires, and/or plugs not providing a proper spark or something on the fueling end failing). Just because it sparks does not mean the coils and wires are doing 100 percent of what they should. Also what happened to it running at 2,500 while cold? Did that go away? If this is high mileage I would almost be tempted to redo the whole ignition system. Stalk ebay and lsimilar site and pick upa lot of it dirt cheap. If it is higher mileage and you have an erratic problem take a good look and get your module tested. They are expensive, but once again have gone very cheap on the internet. If I remember series 2 3800s the crank position sensors on these was a common failure (but I am sure the 3800 crew will step in) and also if this was the engine with the cam sensor that gets misdiagnosed a lot because of a garbage plastic tab on the camshaft itself. Just trying to help, but its been about 10 years since I fixed a car/changed parts for money.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Probably a good idea to change your plugs and figure out what cause it to flood in the first place (weak coils, wires, and/or plugs not providing a proper spark or something on the fueling end failing). Just because it sparks does not mean the coils and wires are doing 100 percent of what they should. Also what happened to it running at 2,500 while cold? Did that go away? If this is high mileage I would almost be tempted to redo the whole ignition system. Stalk ebay and lsimilar site and pick upa lot of it dirt cheap. If it is higher mileage and you have an erratic problem take a good look and get your module tested. They are expensive, but once again have gone very cheap on the internet. If I remember series 2 3800s the crank position sensors on these was a common failure (but I am sure the 3800 crew will step in) and also if this was the engine with the cam sensor that gets misdiagnosed a lot because of a garbage plastic tab on the camshaft itself. Just trying to help, but its been about 10 years since I fixed a car/changed parts for money.

Yeah it's high mileage and yes the time it started it was still doing the 2,500 rpm thing. Thanks for the tips I'll look into it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info