Series 1 coolant leak

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
So my mom has a 1993 Oldsmobile Delta 88 LSS with the Series 1 in it with about 110k miles.

I get the call from my parents saying that it went from being full of coolant to almost half full in like a 15 minute drive. I get over there for a quick look before we went to dinner and I am seeing coolant all over on the left rear side under the block and undertrays. The water pump I guess has been weeping out a little bit here and there but there has to be a bigger cause. I didn't have any work clothes so I wasn't able to remove parts to get a closer look.

The plastic elbow blew out about 3 years ago and was fixed in wonderful galesburg. My one thought is that he replaced it with another cheap plastic one instead of the GM part which I believe is metal.

I honestly just want to fix this thing and have them get another year out of it. Am I right to think that I should order the LIM, UIM, water pump, and that elbow? Can I get away with NAPA parts or should I be using GM parts for all of these? Valve covers are leaking oil also so I guess this would be a good time to fix those too?

Most I have done on this car is CV joints, brakes, and oil changes and a a replaced radiator. Given I have the right tools is it plausible for me to knock this out in a afternoon?

thanks in advance for any help. figure you guys would know better than me.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
So my mom has a 1993 Oldsmobile Delta 88 LSS with the Series 1 in it with about 110k miles.

I get the call from my parents saying that it went from being full of coolant to almost half full in like a 15 minute drive. I get over there for a quick look before we went to dinner and I am seeing coolant all over on the left rear side under the block and undertrays. The water pump I guess has been weeping out a little bit here and there but there has to be a bigger cause. I didn't have any work clothes so I wasn't able to remove parts to get a closer look.
the water pump seal can fail quite quickly aqnd drain the system down to about halfway, 110k from a waterpump is damn good, its highly likely the seal blew out

The plastic elbow blew out about 3 years ago and was fixed in wonderful galesburg. My one thought is that he replaced it with another cheap plastic one instead of the GM part which I believe is metal.
both heater core coolant pipes are metal, though there is a rubber coolant bypass hose out of the top of the timing cover into the lim. the SI didnt have any plastic coolant elbows of the type the SII uses

I honestly just want to fix this thing and have them get another year out of it. Am I right to think that I should order the LIM, UIM, water pump, and that elbow? Can I get away with NAPA parts or should I be using GM parts for all of these? Valve covers are leaking oil also so I guess this would be a good time to fix those too?
i would start with the WP and coolant bypass hose, the lim gaskets are similar to the SII plastic/oring type but last for quite a while since they used green coolant and not the dexcrap.
napa parts are just fine, WP is the same part number as the SII 3800 and the coolant bypass hose should be a generic 90* bend hose and instock at most parts stores.
valve cover gaskets wouldnt hurt but youll want the grommets replaced at the same time,

Most I have done on this car is CV joints, brakes, and oil changes and a a replaced radiator. Given I have the right tools is it plausible for me to knock this out in a afternoon?

thanks in advance for any help. figure you guys would know better than me.

entirely possible the metal coolant tubes sometimes seize into the ports but you shouldnt need to remove em to replace the wp and even the lim gaskets...
i would take a closer look but youll prob find the WP/coolant bypass hose went out or maybe the lower rad hose split...also possible the heater core hoses broke...but my guess is the wp.

glad i could help :jg:

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
the water pump seal can fail quite quickly aqnd drain the system down to about halfway, 110k from a waterpump is damn good, its highly likely the seal blew out

both heater core coolant pipes are metal, though there is a rubber coolant bypass hose out of the top of the timing cover into the lim. the SI didnt have any plastic coolant elbows of the type the SII uses

Thanks a lot I realized it wasn't the elbow that I was thinking of but that bypass that comes out of the LIM, I believe that is what spontaneously broke a couple of years back.

Rather crazy to see a water pump fail like that. All of my Nissan motors gave a lot more warning but given 2 of them had belts you just always replaced it when you did a belt.

Lower radiator hose was really soft but still was holding. Going to replace that also. Are the water heater hoses just generic sized hosing? I keep on reading that those go rather often at this age so while I am there I might as well replace those two. Just really don't feel like ever working on this car again or having it leave my mom stranded now that they only have 1 car.

Looks like my order list will just be
water pump
rad hose
coolant bypass hose
gaskets (just in case can always return them)

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Thanks a lot man. Able to knock out the water pump today in about 2-3 hours. Would have saved 30 minutes if I had figured out how to remove the axial torque mount a little quicker. I will say this car has way more room than when I did the water pump on my maxima.

6833609353_0fed4b155d_z.jpg

6833610127_aed880d804_z.jpg

6833611035_13a5783e5d_z.jpg

6833611941_a19b7ba4cb_z.jpg

Love the interior on this car, so very comfy.
6833612787_3b52f54be5_z.jpg

6833614037_4df1cf5fb4_z.jpg

6833613381_f2780c2c49_z.jpg

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
uh. you wanna sell that thing cheap?

Parents are looking at replacing it and then I will have it up for sale hopefully in the next 3-6 months. Transmission is probably next to go though as it has 115k (bought it in 2003 with 30k miles on it) miles and it is the first one. Was always tempted to throw something supercharged into it for fun. Engine right now needs a full set of gaskets on it as it leaks oil from the oil pan and the valve covers. No exterior rust though as the whole damn thing is plastic.

Interior was perfect up until 2-3 years ago with the map light falling apart and some of the leather inserts on the doors peeling.

I am sure a classified ad will be up here when they find a replacement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Intel
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list