4th Gear Issue

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Driving in 4th, usually going 50-55. If I let off the throttle even just a tiny bit I feel a kick from the trans, almost feels like it's shifting but it's not downshifting. If I mostly let off the throttle then start to ease back into it I feel it again as I start easing back in. What kind of issue am I looking at? It started off only doing it here and there, but now it does it about every time.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Sounds VERY much like a converter/solenoid issue, I'm sure the 3800 pros will step in though.

Could also be something stupid like a mount though, you get off load and the motor rocks forward, you get back on load and the motor rocks back?

Yeah I was kinda worried about it being a tq converter issue, the mount thing sounds like a hopeful alternative though.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
thats the oem tq converter clutch lockup controls, it shuts off the tcc when less than 6% throttle and relocks it at 6%.

to test put your foot on the brake and press it just enough for the brake lights to go on but not slow you down and you should notice that it no longer does it.

the tcc apply routine was changed from 96-98 as they went to carbo fiber tcc clutches vs the earlier kevlar clutches, the newer material allowing for PWM controll of lockup so that the customer no longer feels a "5th shift"...part of that whole pesky
NVH deal (carbon withstands heat from slipping better than the kevlar)

you may be seeing it from a worn tcc/tcc pwm solenoid or you may have disconnected the battery/reset the adaptives in which case it can take up to 100-300 miles for it to relearn your driving habbits

hooking up a scantoolk to check the comanded lockup and lockup pressure could point the way to a diagnosis

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info