Brand new wheel bearing...studs snapped clean off... WHY??

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
So heres a new one for ya tee see gee. I put a new wheel bearing on my car last week Friday. Today i drive to work and feel the death whobble. I assumed it was the opposite wheel bearing as i know it needed replace also but hadnt gotten to it yet.

Soo im cruising down 20 @ 60 mph and alls well besides the wobble. I get to work and the fuckin wheel pops off as im turning into the parking lot.. all the studs are broken clean off at the bearing..i found 1 laying next to the wheel so i assume the others popped off down 20.. wtf how lucky did i get lol.

just got the car towed home and into the garage... but i need the fuckin 36 mm to get it off that i rented not bought. :fu: looks like the bikes coming outta storage for a run to the store for a 36mm impact socket.. :fu:

Why TCG? Discuss. Moog wheel bearing from advance btw.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
The wheel could have been offset or hung up maybe if you impacted one on at a time all the way and not snug them all by hand first :dunno:

Just going by my small scale experience when studs all snap off its always been that they weren't tightened enough.

I always snug them with just the socket in a star pattern before applying any torque to them and even then I do it in steps in a star.

BlueBallz

Sep 27, 2011
Yep same thing happened on my 96 LaSabre. Put the tire on and tightened the nuts, dropped the car onto the ground and forgot to re-tighten them again. On my way to work the next day started breaking one by one. Had the stock wheels on with the covers so it sounded like a Maraca in there. Pulled the cover off and 3 of the 5 studs fell out.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
For one you shouldnt be Impacting them on and trusting it. Air pressures and guns differ all the time. I always torque mine down to 100lbs. If I dont have a torque wrench then I use a breaker bar but try to feel it.

I have seen on mutiple occasions the lugs coming loose on new studs. basically the threads stretch a little and you have to retighten. I say after a hundred miles or so.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
For one you shouldnt be Impacting them on and trusting it. Air pressures and guns differ all the time. I always torque mine down to 100lbs. If I dont have a torque wrench then I use a breaker bar but try to feel it.

I have seen on mutiple occasions the lugs coming loose on new studs. basically the threads stretch a little and you have to retighten. I say after a hundred miles or so.

This.

Always need to re-torque after doing some driving when putting on new wheel bearings, lugs, or wheels to re-tighten for proper torque.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
That sucks for sure. I actually bought a 36MM when I was removing the engine of my Regal. Thats probably the only time I will use it, but it is nice to know its sitting there for the off chance Ill need it.

I also didnt have an impact when taking the bearing off. I bought my breaker, 2 6" pipes, and an adapter to connect them together. Leverage FTW!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info