O2 sensor wire colors and slow switching code

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Can some one confirm what each of the four O2 sensor wires are for on the pre- cat O2 sensor on my 01 GP. Last time I drove my car the service engine light came on for a slow switching O2 sensor, P1133, I think. I cleared the code first, bought a new Denso O2 sensor, and the first time I drove the car with the new sensor the service engine light came back on with the same code.

I did not really find any solid info on Google for a Grand Prix, so from what I have read

Black = ground
Pink = hot, key on
Purple = high signal
Tan = low signal

01abboud

Not quite as new here...
Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria, VA
It may have nothing to do with your wiring... I'm sure you know more about these things than I do (I'm still very much learning)... Do you still have a rear O2 sensor? I removed mine, and got a P1133 code because my 01 Regal would run a catalyst efficiency test 18 times per trip (dumping fuel to see if it's working), because it never got any signal from the rear O2. I'd reset it, and it would just keep coming back. Apparently the GPs do the same thing. I was able to disable the test using Tiny Tuner and a DHP.

I apologize if you've already done this!

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Ground and hot wire tested out okay. Had the car running in the garage for a few minuets and the sensor was switching fast via scan gauge so:dunno:.

FWIW the rear O2 has a simulator plugged in and so far I have never had a problem with that. Also the original pre cat O2 was of unknown age and mileage and it needed to be changed anyways. I guess all I can do for now is wait until I start driving the car in spring and see if the code wants to come back or not.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
did you check voltage drop to ground with the sensor plugged in and maybe with the heater on?
signal side can be finicky about voltage drop since the pcm grounds are to the same point
it seems to have triggered with the wornout and with the new o2's right?
if so the likelyhood of it being sensor related wentdown a good bit so i'd check any and all connectors that have been disconnected "often"
some of us 3800 guys use zippers to hold in our shit so its easier to take it apart :jg:
what was the sensor min/max and how many cycles a second?
wait and see i guess but ya may have "cleaned" a connection that needed to be unpluged and plugged in

A notice for all that may have intermittent electrical gremlins:
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2009/08/gm-techlink---august-2009.html

been seeing this on lots of cars lately...enjoy all them fancy gizmo's and gadgets while ya can cause as your car gets older......:pedobear:
this stuff probably apply's to many connectors not just gm, realise that alot of pcm and computer pins are now gold plated but many other components arent

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
did you check voltage drop to ground with the sensor plugged in and maybe with the heater on?
signal side can be finicky about voltage drop since the pcm grounds are to the same point
it seems to have triggered with the wornout and with the new o2's right?
if so the likelyhood of it being sensor related wentdown a good bit so i'd check any and all connectors that have been disconnected "often"
some of us 3800 guys use zippers to hold in our shit so its easier to take it apart :jg:
what was the sensor min/max and how many cycles a second?
wait and see i guess but ya may have "cleaned" a connection that needed to be unpluged and plugged in

A notice for all that may have intermittent electrical gremlins:
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2009/08/gm-techlink---august-2009.html

been seeing this on lots of cars lately...enjoy all them fancy gizmo's and gadgets while ya can cause as your car gets older......:pedobear:
this stuff probably apply's to many connectors not just gm, realise that alot of pcm and computer pins are now gold plated but many other components arent
I did not measure any voltage drop across the sensor. Just unplugged it and tested the wires at the end of the engine harness.

Yes, the code first came on with the worn out O2, cleared the code, drove the car a couple more times, replaced the sensor, then the same code came back as soon as I drove the car right after replacing the sensor.

Trying to remember what the scan gauge showed while the car was idling and I gave it a couple small revs, seen like 45 and over 900. I could not say how fast it was switching but I will say it was much faster then the old sensor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info