z7 or CT?

ProjectGTP

Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Yeah I'm leaning more towards the z7 now. Snailblazer I scrapped my gtp for 200$ and bought this impala now that doesn't run and I could probably sell for scrap price, part out the motor and make maaaaaybe 600, add all that up plus the turbo kit and call it 3k. LOL. I will stick around and play with this fwd junk a lil longer.

This is also going on an impala not a gtp. So that would make a difference with fitting I'm guessing. I'm gonna try to talk to the guy with the z7. I was just worried that the turbo was a lil too big. I'm not looking to run crazy numbers and make stupid power.

ProjectGTP

Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Yeah I'm leaning more towards the z7 now. Snailblazer I scrapped my gtp for 200$ and bought this impala now that doesn't run and I could probably sell for scrap price, part out the motor and make maaaaaybe 600, add all that up plus the turbo kit and call it 3k. LOL. I will stick around and play with this fwd junk a lil longer.

This is also going on an impala not a gtp. So that would make a difference with fitting I'm guessing. I'm gonna try to talk to the guy with the z7. I was just worried that the turbo was a lil too big. I'm not looking to run crazy numbers and make stupid power.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
hey sonny, if you can get a used Intercooled CT kit for a good price go for it. There are a couple downfalls for the CT kit but I would still go for it before buying a new z7 kit with a ZZP FMIC and spend the saved money on trans mods and a cam.
That being said if you can get a used z7 kit for the same price, go with the z7.

the z7 has a t3 flange which is why it has a .82 a/r
the CT kit has a t4, which will be easier to upgrade to a larger turbo down the line(saying you can find or build a trans that can handle the extra power).

if going with the cartuning kit you wont Kevin's(CT owner) tech support anyways. The kits have been around for long enough that you can find plenty of previous or current owners for help if you get hung up.

Things to watch out for on a used CT kit
1) the turbo, the PT 60-1 has a common issue with seals going bad.

2) the way the wastegate perch is setup can cause small boost spikes( some have, some havent). You can help reduce this by porting the inlet to the perch a little bit where it meets the rear manifold.

3) Some of the early CT kits came with a knock off turbonetics manual boost controller that can cause major issues if it goes bad.

4) the supplied vac lines are a joke, upgrade them.

5) replace the downpipe to turbo gasket as well as the t4 flange gasket.

6) the CT came with a pcm "tune" that is beyond a joke. get a custom tune before you try and run it.

Not major things outside of the turbo going, most DIY guys like you would be able to tackle the issues in a couple hours and not spend much money.

If you plan to modify the rear manifold or go with a front powerlog, do it before you install the kit for obvious reasons. Also dont wrap the crossover, just the DP if your going to at all.

We offer bolt on turbo upgrades, and the evo wastegate for the CT kits if you find just the crossover and downpipe.

Good luck with the build

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info