a sort of odd, faint noise at idle..

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
as topic says. idling, in drive.. car makes a faint rattling sound. can only hear it when it's in the garage or up against a wall of some sort. checked my heat shields , they are all tight and not hanging down on anything. where else should i start? should i grab a video? been happening for a long time, starting to get annoyed with it. goes away at any engine speed above idle.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
192804 however the catalytic convertor idea can be dismissed..

Somewhere in 2008, I put a low-mile 2004 Monte Carlo downpipe on to replace the original one with around 150K miles on it that had developed a leaky flex-section.

Recently, I needed to replace it since the flange kept leaking (distorted cheap pressed-steel junk) so I put on a ZZP 3" with a Magnaflow cat.

Did it before the '04 flex..

One thought.. at one point, I had the flexplate replaced because of this crack that had developed, causing a HUGE knocking sound.

dsc02019by.jpg

I cannot remember if it made this noise before the flexplate replacement..

is there any way to check to make sure it's all tightened down without cracking the engine from the trans?

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
There should be an inspection plate on the bottom of the engine that you can remove. Look through there and turn the engine over until you get to each one of the TC bolts and put a wrench (or whatever works best) on each bolt and make sire they are tight. I had to do that to a dodge minivan once where the TC bolts were loose.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info