a/c explosion?

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Was sitting in the car last night with the gf at sonic, had defrosters running and when I was backing out, I heard a loud "PSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" Sound like somone slashed a tire. Popped hood, everything was dry.. engine temp was normal, upper and lower radiator hoses tight and pressurized, power steering worked fine..turned on the air conditioning and it never got anything near what it should. I had a new a/c compressor installed recently and had it charged as well. Could something of just let go over time from age?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
i've seen a/c hoses rub through on the radiator fan shroud, more commonly on GM cars. chances are they injected dye into the a/c system when they did the compressor, so any shop should be able to look for the dye with an ultraviolet light.
does the compressor clutch cycle with the ac on?

Droptopta69

Hopes and dreams racing
Apr 18, 2010
if not a hose, possibly the high pressure blow off on the back of the compressor, best way to tell is put some refrigerant in it, DO NOT USE SEALER!!!!! that shit will fuck all your hoses up and make what ever shop you take it want to kill you and possibly punch small children

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
if not a hose, possibly the high pressure blow off on the back of the compressor, best way to tell is put some refrigerant in it, DO NOT USE SEALER!!!!! that shit will fuck all your hoses up and make what ever shop you take it want to kill you and possibly punch small children
what does this valve look like? Ill get under the car tonight to see if that's what it is. Is the refrigerant liquid ? I have never done anything AC related but I guess I can learn now.

do you know where the shop got the compressor? i've seen napa compressors blow the front seal and piss freon and dye everywhere.
I believe I got the pump from rockauto. A buddy of mine who manages a car-x installed it and charged it for me about a month and a half ago and I've driven about 2500 miles on it

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
x3, there should be dye somewhere, wherever all the, collectively referred to, gases escaped. Hell, when the accumulator on my Vic blew, there was a puddle on the ground, I thought the damn radiator was leaking. You should be able to see the dye with naked eye if there is enough of it spattered everywhere, but glasses and the light will help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info