a/c clutch/compressor squealing/screeching

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
alright so my gtp is running, and i have been just tying up just lil odd's and ends, the compressor pulley is screeching like a mmofucka. i haven't had functioning a/c in god only knows how long... but this noise is defnitely new.

i don't necessarily want to delete my ac... i'd really rather make it start working again... my question is though- is the clutch replaceable? or the pulley? or would I be better off getting an entire reman compressor?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
usually youll get a clutch/pulley assembly together
13mm nut in the middle, a special puller with a tapered ext thread pulls the clutch off the shaft, then a snapring holds on the bearing/pulley assembly and another snapring holds on the electromagnet.

if its got 80+k miles though the front compressor seal may be on its way out so even if you fix it, a recharge could potentially leak out...in that case a reman may be a better option.

if the lines show signs of black death on the inside i'd rec a good used ac compressor from the junkyard that way any debris in the system wont kill a more $$ part

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Mine was because the pulley was rubbing on the clutch so it made a tuuurable noise. At first i bent the clutch away from the pulley, worked for about a month, then i welded the clutch basically to itself, bam. No more noise and the ac worked great!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info