needs maintaince, what else to look for

V

v8venomgt

-both valve covers are pushing out a considerable amount of oil

-gunk all over the intake manifold.

-forgive my ignorance but just under the airbox, im assuming to be the trans :roflpicard: there are drips of a leaky mess inches to the left (if you are looking at it dead on with the hood up) which im assuming is coming from above, i dont think the trans is leaking.

-growling sound from the front end, assuming these are wheel bearings ntb :facepalm: recommended i replace them as well when it was on their rack a few weeks ago.

symptoms-
car smells like coolant
car is down on oil

i know that the valve covers, intake manifold gaskets, and wheel bearings are notorious to fail. time to pony up some dough on parts i guess. i bought the car early summer and it looked clean. im thinking the last owner degreased the engine bay, changed the fluids and let it ride on to the next poor sap lol

what do you guys recomend for parts on the gaskets? i think i read somewhere on this forum timkin makes a quality wheel bearing? anything else i need to check? car only has 95k on it.....just sell it right? id love to get into another cherokee :bowrofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
ill buy it for 500$...

your car is fucked..

but in all honesty... get aluminum lim gaskets- available at the dealer or from zzperformance.com get new valve cover gaskets... when you do the lim gaskets you will also probably want to replace the coolant elbows as well- and additonally- doesnt hurt to do the injector o-rings.

its all not too bad of a deal- there should be several write ups on the interwebs- and many on here for that matter on how to do it...

along with i know that goodfellas garage on here would be able to do it as well.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
The aluminum LIM gaskets are preferred

I've had good luck with my Timken wheel bearing. If they are that bad you should be able to feel some play in them. My rear bearing had a lot of slop in it when it went bad. The LIM gasket could be leaking out onto the trans, or the end cap for the LIM could be leaking as well. Have you changed the oil? How did it look?

I did my LIM gasket, TB gasket, LIM end cap gasket, coolant elbows, and VC gaskets and everything has been clean ever since.

V

v8venomgt

ill buy it for 500$...

your car is fucked..

but in all honesty... get aluminum lim gaskets- available at the dealer or from zzperformance.com get new valve cover gaskets... when you do the lim gaskets you will also probably want to replace the coolant elbows as well- and additonally- doesnt hurt to do the injector o-rings.

its all not too bad of a deal- there should be several write ups on the interwebs- and many on here for that matter on how to do it...

along with i know that goodfellas garage on here would be able to do it as well.
lol how about 50$ and a dark room :pedobear: why would i want to do the injector o rings? do they commonly go bad? im not the most mechanically inclined, and ill probably learn on my friend to help me. if thats a no go, is there someone specific to pm?

The aluminum LIM gaskets are preferred

I've had good luck with my Timken wheel bearing. If they are that bad you should be able to feel some play in them. My rear bearing had a lot of slop in it when it went bad. The LIM gasket could be leaking out onto the trans, or the end cap for the LIM could be leaking as well. Have you changed the oil? How did it look?

I did my LIM gasket, TB gasket, LIM end cap gasket, coolant elbows, and VC gaskets and everything has been clean ever since.
thanks for the lead, do you have a part #? or did you just buy it off the ebay store? i saw someone post a thread about it not long ago. i just switched to overnights, so i didnt change the oil myself, i turd out after work lol so i didnt see it after it had drained, but on the dipstick it looked/smelled fine to me.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
lol how about 50$ and a dark room :pedobear: why would i want to do the injector o rings? do they commonly go bad? im not the most mechanically inclined, and ill probably learn on my friend to help me. if thats a no go, is there someone specific to pm?

thanks for the lead, do you have a part #? or did you just buy it off the ebay store? i saw someone post a thread about it not long ago. i just switched to overnights, so i didnt change the oil myself, i turd out after work lol so i didnt see it after it had drained, but on the dipstick it looked/smelled fine to me.

On the wheel bearings? Nope, i just got mine from Autozone. I don't think they are making the plastic LIM gaskets anymore as they were more prone to failure. I got all my gasket from ZZP.

V

v8venomgt

On the wheel bearings? Nope, i just got mine from Autozone. I don't think they are making the plastic LIM gaskets anymore as they were more prone to failure. I got all my gasket from ZZP.

i did some poking around on line recently about wheel bearings. it seems like the chain retailers (carquest, autozone, etc) sell bearings for cheap, but fail prematurely but i really dont know?

im looking at zzp right now, not sure if i should get a few individual gaskets as mentioned before, or this http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/561-Top-Swap-Gasket-Kit.aspx. the car is a DD for me, ive had a bad habit of running through cars the last couple of years so im not sure if i really want to pump a ton of unnecessary dough into this just yet. i do plan to hold onto it for at least a little while, so i dont want to run it into the ground.

did you need a press, or any special tools to change the wheel bearing?

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
i did some poking around on line recently about wheel bearings. it seems like the chain retailers (carquest, autozone, etc) sell bearings for cheap, but fail prematurely but i really dont know?

im looking at zzp right now, not sure if i should get a few individual gaskets as mentioned before, or this http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/561-Top-Swap-Gasket-Kit.aspx. the car is a DD for me, ive had a bad habit of running through cars the last couple of years so im not sure if i really want to pump a ton of unnecessary dough into this just yet. i do plan to hold onto it for at least a little while, so i dont want to run it into the ground.

did you need a press, or any special tools to change the wheel bearing?

No press. Just a BFH and some time.

If you want a good bearing then get one from Napa. Our premium one is SKF which most are still made in America im told. Theyre 179 but they have a 3 year warranty.

V

v8venomgt

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
yeah thats it. Three bolts from the back and beat it out of the spindle. The problem with getting parts online is there are no warranty or a bitch to get it warrantied if there is a problem.

With the TCG discount its 172 per bearing.
LIM gaskets are 79.79
UIM Gaskets are 45.99
VC gaskets with grommets 55.49

If you wanna get em from me I might be able to do better for ya. Im at the streamwood location.

V

v8venomgt

yeah thats it. Three bolts from the back and beat it out of the spindle. The problem with getting parts online is there are no warranty or a bitch to get it warrantied if there is a problem.

With the TCG discount its 172 per bearing.
LIM gaskets are 79.79
UIM Gaskets are 45.99
VC gaskets with grommets 55.49

If you wanna get em from me I might be able to do better for ya. Im at the streamwood location.

i appreciate it ill be in touch if i buy local!

V

v8venomgt

i just ordered the timken wheel bearing through rock auto.

im trying to get my order placed with zzp. i dont know much about these cars though. im assuming i have a l67 motor? the other options are l32 and l36/22. i dont want to do the entire gasket kit either.

im assuming all i really need is;

Supercharger gasket
Upper intake gasket
Aluminum lower intake manifold gasket
Valve cover gaskets
Upper coolant elbow
Lower coolant elbow

and i should be squared away? aside from coolant, and oil, theres nothing else i need for this project right? i will most likely do spark plugs as well come to think of it....

i dont forsee me modifying this car. just DD duties

V

v8venomgt

cuz when you pull the lim chances are coolant will venture its way down into your oil- extra peace of mind.

gotchya. i ordered the 4 intake piece gasket, and the supercharger gasket from zzp. is there an additional "upper gasket" as well? i only saw that listed for an l36 motor. zzp never answers their damn phone. as for the plugs, i may just head to the dealer? or is there a decent alternative, at carquest/pepboys/vato zone etc. i may do a cai down the line if i find one cheap however the car will stay stock im pretty sure. the bullitt gets my mod monies :bowrofl:

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
sorry, spark plugs. just not sure what is best to toss in there for my purposes/dd mundane shit. i had a feeling there was no upper intake gasket, i just wasnt entirely sure

any proven, clean how to's on a cai write up?

Plugs I would go with stock AC Delco's 41-101.

CAI are pretty straight forward. Go with a 4in cone from K&N and just some PVC plumbing pipes. try and get the cone as close to the rear of the headlight to to get the coldest air. Trying to fit them into the fender on this car seems to be a PITA

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info