Clunking nois?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Hey guys, I drove my car the other day for first time in a while. I noticed a vibration coming from what I think is the stearing. It is not there att the time, and sometimes you can feel it in the gas pedal. I thought it was the trans but now Im sure its not. Any ideas what this could be?? Brakes and rotors are fine.

Check Ball joints/bearings/bushings. Lift nose off ground, pull/push top/bottom and then left/right of the wheel to check for play.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
OK, I will check that to.

Hey I noticed when Im not moving and I have the heat on I get a stroung smell of exhaust. I dont think that is common at all. I think my rear exhaust manifold is leaking. Also, is it true if you have a leak there that it can have the same effect as a vaccum leak?

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
OK, so I went with a coworker just now for a ride, he says he is almost sure that it is my passanger side Ball Baring. So I was looking into replacements, they are about 45 each but you have to pound the old one out and then the new one in. I found the hub for 80 each, and it comes with them installed already. I think I’m going to do that. Has anyone with a 3800 done them before?? How hard would it be to do myself, or should I take it in???

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Front wheel bearings are pretty easy. You have to remove the brake caliper and rotor, remove the axle nut, unplug the abs sensor and then remove the 3 bolts holding the bearing to the knuckle. There will be some rust you'll have to fight through but a few whacks with a hammer will get the bearing loose out of the knuckle.

W-bodies go through them like a fat kid eating cake.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
OPERATION H.U.B. was a success. It took me almost three hours, good thing I have CRAZY storung muscles!! I had to use a braker bar on almost all the bolts but I finally got it out. I changed the pass side and today I feel no vibrations, the grinding noise is gone. Im just worried my wheel might fall odd!! LOL

Thanks for all the help guys. Sat I plan to change the drivers side!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info